Make sure you check off these 2021 HRGL fiscal year-end tasks
Fiscal year 2022 (FY22) begins on July 1. Ensure that this year’s payroll (and effort) is allocated correctly before the close of fiscal year 2021.
Ensure June funding is correct before payroll
Use the HCM WorkCenter Resources Funding Distribution query or Position Funding query to confirm funding is active and accurate.
Tip: Only grants and contracts require end dates. Consider removing funding end dates from SpeedTypes that are not funded by a project.
Prevent June funding from going to suspense by updating expired funding before payroll. Find expired funding quickly using the Funding Suspense Current Row query.
Once paychecks have processed, confirm pay and funding
Run the Payroll Register with Accounting Detail query to confirm posted funding aligns with effort. Find suspense by using an Excel filter for the suspense SpeedType.
Report overpayments as quickly as possible and correct underpayments in the next off-cycle.
Clear suspense and align effort
Funding reflects effort on institutional and grant funds. Align effort with funding using these steps, so effort can be certified by employees in the Personnel Effort Reporting system (ePER) when needed.
- Identify payroll that went to suspense or requires different funding distribution/effort reporting.
- Create a Payroll Expense Transfer (PET) to transfer the payroll to the appropriate SpeedTypes to capture the effort correctly. For instructions, see the Payroll Expense Transfers step-by-step guide.
- Complete FY21 PETs by July 14 to post to FY21.
- When a PET redistributes grant funded payroll, it updates ePERS as well. This means that previously certified ePERS effort must be recertified.
Ensure PETs are approved on time
Fully approve FY21 PETs by second close deadline July 14 at 6 p.m. to post to FY21.
Note: Employees must recertify ePERS after completing a PET that affects grant funding.
Confirm overpayments Collected by Fiscal Year End
Full or partial overpayment credits collected by June 30 will be posted to in the same fiscal year. Remaining amounts will be credited when collected, or during the next fiscal or calendar year-end cycle – whichever comes first.
Need extra help?
To access the HCM queries mentioned above:
- Log into the employee portal.
- Open the CU Resources dropdown menu and click Business Tools.
- Select the HCM tile and choose HCM Community Users from the drop-down menu.
- Click the HCM WorkCenter tile.
- Select the Resources tab and click the query you desire.
You can find additional HRGL resources below: