Apply now for eligible medical or family leave in 2024
It’s been cooking for months, and CU’s self-funded and self-administered Family and Medical Leave Insurance (FAMLI) program will take effect on Jan. 1, 2024.
This new paid leave coverage will offer greater flexibility and paid leave options for employees who need to take an absence from work for medical or family care purposes.
Starting Jan. 1, 2024, you can use FAMLI leave to take time away from work to:
- care for a new child, including adopted and fostered children.
- care for themselves or a family member if they have a serious health condition.
- make arrangements for a family member’s military deployment.
- address the immediate safety needs and impact of domestic violence and/or sexual assault.
Submit your FAMLI leave request now
Employees can submit an application for FAMLI coverage through the employee portal. These applications must be for eligible leave, such as an anticipated birth or surgery, which will take place in 2024.
After Jan. 1, 2024, employees can use the same form to request leave for qualified absences as the need arises.
Follow these steps to locate the FAMLI application.
- Log in to the employee portal.
- Choose Forms from the top left drop-down menu.
- Select the Collaborative HR Services tile, then select the CU Leave Benefits tile.
- Click on the Apply for Leave Benefits tile and fill out the digital form.
Medical requests will require supporting documentation, such as an appointment confirmation, doctor’s note, medical certification or other information depending on the nature of your requested absence.
How FAMLI offers flexibility
The CU FAMLI plan follows the Family and Medical Leave Insurance (FAMLI) program established by the state of Colorado to build on existing leave options for employees, working in tandem with several existing paid leave options to give employees more time and greater flexibility in taking care of themselves or family members.
Starting Jan. 1, 2024, CU’s FAMLI program will provide all eligible employees a portion of their weekly salary for up to 12 weeks of leave to care for themselves or a family member, with an additional four weeks leave available for complications during pregnancy or childbirth. Available FAMLI leave will renew over a rolling 12-month period.
All CU employees who reside in Colorado — including GME residents, student employees and graduate students on appointment — are eligible to use FAMLI leave.
Employees will become eligible to receive partial wage replacement on the first day of employment.
FAMLI also provides legal protections for the employee’s position and prohibitions against employer retaliation in response to eligible leave. To qualify for job protection under FAMLI, an employee must have worked at their position for more than 180 days (about six months).
Learn more about FAMLI
Be sure to follow up on the benefits and requirements of the program through these informational resources and training options.
- Visit the FAMLI information page.
- Watch the on-demand course about the CU FAMLI program.
- Attend one of the scheduled CU FAMLI Q&A Sessions, held on Zoom through Feb. 2. These sessions are a chance for you to learn about the new CU FAMLI program and its benefits, and to ask questions about using the program. See the full schedule and register for an upcoming session.