Categorized in: 

Follow our new guide to process overpayments and find helpful tips

We get it. Sometimes, employees can be paid an inaccurate amount, creating overpayments. But don’t worry; Employee Services has a procedure in place to reconcile an employee’s pay.

When a department discovers an employee has been overpaid, they must process a Notice of Overpayment Adjustment (NOPA) form. We’ve created a new step-by-step guide to walk you through the process of correcting an overpayment – from collecting the necessary information to sending the form to Employee Services.

Take a look

Here are a few habits & tips that can help to avoid overpayments in the future:

  • Review your payroll registers every pay cycle. 
  • When an employee leaves CU, make sure you terminate them in the payroll system.
  • After payroll runs, complete pay pulls as quickly as possible. Check your payroll calendar – the pull deadline is 2 days before the pay day.
  • Double-check pay codes. Sometimes, overpayments result from two positions assigned to one person.
  • Have someone retiring? Make sure the dates in HCM align with their retirement effective date to avoid extra pay.
  • If you are paying an employee after an overpayment has been processed, please complete a HandDrawn Warrant rather than an off-cycle entry for payment. HCM will not capture an overpayment deduction from an off-cycle entry. Let us know that a HandDrawn Warrant is coming, and we’ll get as much back to the department as we can.

Have questions about overpayments? Email .

Add new comment