Best Practices: Managing employee contracts with irregular start or end dates
Sometimes contracts end mid-month and a new contract begins during the same month. Avoid confusing paycheck calculations by following these best practices for mid-month contract changes.
- Payroll does not differentiate mid-month position changes for different contracts on the same job record.
- Contract Details are associated with a Record Number in Job Data, not the position.
- If contract pay ends mid-month and new position data is entered for the new contract mid-month on the same job record, payroll will not use the position active at the time of the mid-month end date for the prior contract. Instead, it will post both contracts using the last position listed in Job Data for that pay period.
- Account codes and the CU Boulder and UCCS FIN fringe rates will use the last position data for both contracts.
- If an employee will be rehired to a new contract mid-pay period, use a different Record Number to rehire the employee.
- Use a different position number to manage funding for multiple contracts with each having their own distributions.
Need extra help?
To access helpful HCM queries:
- Log into the employee portal.
- Open the CU Resources dropdown menu and click Business Tools.
- Select the HCM tile and choose HCM Community Users from the drop-down menu.
- Click the HCM WorkCenter tile.
- Select the Resources tab and click the query you desire.
You can find contract resources on the HCM Contracts page.