Marshall Fire: We know that many of our students, faculty and staff have been affected by the Marshall Fire, and the University of Colorado will do everything we can to provide support. Please visit your campus page for immediate resources.
State classified employees are part of the Colorado Personnel System, and subject to both Colorado and CU employment guidelines, rules, regulations and policies.
These employees must submit monthly leave records showing exception time, including all leave usage. Non-exempt employees must report specific hours worked (i.e., time in and out). CU has multiple options for documenting hours worked and exception time; please verify with your department how it records time and follow that procedure.
Both the employee and his/her supervisor must sign the leave record verifying the accuracy of leave usage and balances.
Schedule an appointment with an International Tax specialist
All new international CU employees are required to meet with an international tax specialist to identify their tax status, complete proper tax forms, facilitate any available tax treaty benefits and clarify any tax filing responsibilities.
To prepare for your meeting:
- Bring your passport, I-94 and immigration documents. A Social Security Number (SSN) is not required.
- Plan to review your entire history of presence in the U.S.
Guides and resources
- International Tax Guide: New Hire Guide
- International Tax Guide: Nonresident Alien (NRA) for U.S. Tax Purposes
- International Tax Guide: Resident Alien (RA) for U.S. Tax Purposes
- International Tax Guide: Tax Information for International Scholarship and Fellowship (Stipend) Recipients
- Social Security Number Verification and Use
- W-8 Forms for Non-U.S. Individuals and Entitites
Coming soon: Request an access code for Sprintax
To assist with U.S. tax filing obligations, nonresident alien students and employees who are sponsored by CU can use Sprintax software. This online tool can help you navigate the U.S.’s complex system and helps ensure all tax information and requirements are correct for an accurate federal tax return. Licences will be available soon.
Federal tax resources
Colorado tax resources
Handbooks, Guides & Other Documents
- State Employee Handbook
- Resources for HCM Users
- Payroll Production Calendars
- Payroll Adjustments
- CU Resources (in the employee portal)
My Leave Step-by-Step Guides
CU has multiple options for documenting hours worked and exception time. You must verify with your department how it records hours/time and follow that procedure.
- My Leave - Setting your Preferences, Tracking Time and Requesting Leave
- My Leave - Selecting Earnings Codes
- Four-campus search
- Department of Labor
- Board of Regents
- Social Security Administration
- Internal Revenue Service
- Procurement Service Center—Contact the PSC for travel and business expense reimbursements reported as taxable income.
- Colorado Department of Personnel and Administration
- Social Security Application
- Department of Personnel Rules and Procedures
- Colorado PERA—"Working After Retirement"
Payroll Forms for Classified Staff
EMPLOYEE WORK RECORD
EXPENSES & DEDUCTIONS
Direct Deposit Authorization: To access, log in to the employee portal.