As a result of recent U.S. tax law changes, most CU policies, documents, reports and forms related to pre-move house-hunting taxable expenses and taxable moving expenses are currently under review by university officials. We will add more information to the website once it has been vetted and approved. 

Starting Jan. 1, 2018, moving expenses are taxable.

If you have moving expenses that cross over 2017 and 2018, here are some general guidelines:

  • Qualified moving expense reimbursements PAID to employees in 2017 were nontaxable
  • Moving expenses PAID to employees in 2018 are taxable, except for members of the Armed Forces on active duty required to move pursuant to a military order
  • Employees who have unreimbursed moving expenses in 2017 may be able to claim it on their 2017 tax return