Updating Contact Information in Salesforce
We all come across periodic bad data now and then from old email addresses to incorrect mailing addresses after CU constituents move. What's the best way to correct this information in Salesforce? The answer depends on a few factors.
If the error is located on an individual contact record, that means that the data in that record is populating from one of CU's source systems. As such, the change needs to happen in the associated source system in order to correctly populate in Salesforce.
Email Address Changes
Salesforce contacts have several email fields, and the process to correct email address errors depends on the field in which the error occurs.
- Email: The email address in the Email is populated by the preferred email address in Advance. If you need to make a change to the email field, the correction needs to occur in Advance. To make a change, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Once you receive notification that that change is complete, you see it in Salesforce the following day after the nightly data load.
- UCB, UCD, UCCS, SYS Emails: The email addresses in any of the campus fields are populated by one of CU's other source systems, such as HRMS or Campus Solutions. If you encounter an error in one of these email fields, contact your eComm Specialist so that they can initiate a correction with the System eComm team.
Physical Address Changes
- Salesforce contact have several physical mailing address, but home address is the most reliable address in Salesforce because it is populated from Advance (and therefore goes through regular rigorous checking to ensure accuracy).
- If you need to make a change to the home address field, the correction needs to occur in Advance. To make a change, email email@example.com. Once you receive notification that that change is complete, you see it in Salesforce the following day after the nightly data load.
- If you notice incorrect information on other aspects of a contact record, contact your eComm Specialist for assistance.
NOTE If you receive notification that a change has been made in Advance but you don't see the correct data populating in Salesforce after the nightly data load, please contact your eComm Specialist so we can invetisgate the Advance-Salesforce integration.
- How do I view a contact?
- What is the difference between a Standard Contact and an Individual Contact?
- Why are there duplicate contact records?
- How to I merge two or more contacts?
- How do I add a contact to a Salesforce campaign?
- What are individual email results (IERs) and how can I use them?
- How do I add contacts to Salesforce?
- How can I match new contacts against existing contacts to avoid creating duplicates?
- How will I know if a contact received my email?
- How does a Salesforce contact relate to a Marketing Cloud Subscriber?
- Is Salesforce GDPR compliant?