The eComm team is currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic, yet we remain committed to serving our users and ensuring success for both ongoing communications and event management. We encourage you to contact your eComm specialist if you require assistance. You can also take advantage of numerous online resources in the eComm wiki or submit a help ticket if you have a specific request.
Data Extension Sends
If you need to send communications to internal audiences (faculty, staff or students) you'll want it delivered to their campus email addresses (eg; @colorado.edu, @ucdenver.edu, @cu.edu or @uccs.edu), To do so, you'll need to send to a Data Extension. Your eComm specialist will create the Data Extension but it's the sender's responsibility to re'Start' it before each send.
Why re'Start' Data Extensions?
Data Extensions MUST be re‘Start’ed before every email send because they capture a Salesforce Report at a moment in time. If you fail to re’Start’ your Data Extension, your email will be distributed to an out-of-date audience. An outdated audience can result in:
- a CAN-SPAM violation
- by sending to folks who recently opted-out of messages
- not targeting your intended audience
- If your audience includes current employees or students, re’Start’ing your Data Extension ensures new employees/students are included and those who are no longer employed/enrolled are not
- If your audience includes alumni, re’Start’ing your Data Extension ensures new alumni (or recent graduates) are included
- distributing to inaccurate email addresses
- in cases where someone recently updated their email address
How-To re’Start’ Data Extensions
- Navigate to Email Studio > Email
- Hover Interactions in the navigation bar then select Imports
- Click the check boxes in front of each of the imports (data extensions) you will use for your email.
- Click the Start button in the navigation bar.
If the Data Extension lists your email to receive notifications about updates (see below), you should receive a notification email confirming the Data Extension ran successfully or not. If your import failed, ask your eComm specialist for help.
- Click the Data Extension title to open it
- Once open, scroll to the bottom to see who
History & Status
- You can also see the status and history of the Data Extension import by checking the box next to the Data Extension and then clicking File History.