Personalizing your Email
Although CU communicators engage with over 1.5 million contacts through Salesforce and Marketing Cloud, each contact represents an important member of the CU family. Contacts have their own interests, relationships with CU, and email preferences. Let your constituents know that they are important and recognized by using first name and/or last name personalization tags in your email.
Marketing Cloud Profile Attributes
Commonly referred to as data tags, Marketing Cloud profile attributes allow you to customize your communication for your constituents. For this example, we'll focus on adding first name to your communication.
Using the First Name Profile Attribute
1. To add a first name profile attribute, log into Marketing Cloud, navigate to email studio, and open the email to which you want to add the attribute.
2. Open the content block to which you want to add the attribute. Then, click where you want the attribute to appear. In the screen shot below, we are using "Dear" followed by a space as an example.
3. Locate the person / silhouette icon from the menu items above your content. Click the drop down arrow next to it to view your options. Select first name. Click done when you are finished.
4. Marketing Cloud will add the first name profile attribute to your content in the format %%First Name%%. Be sure to include any needed punctuation after the attribute.
RECOMMENDATION We recommend users always 1) add an attribute to the email with Marketing Cloud's dropdown menu rather than typing it and 2) test.
Subject Lines and Preheaders
You can also use profile attributes in your subject lines and preheaders.
1. Click in the body of the subject line or preheader to open menu options. Place your cursor where you want to add the attribute.
2. Locate the person / silhouette icon from the menu items above your content. Click the drop down arrow next to it to view your options. Select first name. Click done when you are finished.
3. The profile attribute will populate in your subject line with the format %%First Name%%. Be sure to add any needed punctuation after the attribute. Click done when you are finished.
- How can I test or preview the personalized information?
- How can I add other personalized information to my Marketing Cloud email, such as address?
- How can I add personalized information that is not in Salesforce to my Marketing Cloud email?
- What if I want to add personalized data where the data tag doesn't already exist in Marketing Cloud?