Automatic Refresh of Non-Compliant Data Extensions
To help minimize the potential for CAN-SPAM violations, eComm has the ability to automatically refresh data extensions that have been found to be non-compliant (i.e., not refreshed/imported before their use in an email send). Non-compliant data extensions can be identified and added to the process in two ways:
- Quarterly Audit Process
- The eComm team will conduct a quarterly audit of data extensions. Any data extensions that were used in an email send without being refreshed will automatically be added to the “Quarterly Audit” tab of the automatic refresh spreadsheet. The eComm team will notify the appropriate eComm Specialist so they may facilitate a larger conversation with the user (see below).
- eComm Specialist Troubleshooting
- If an eComm Specialist identifies a non-compliant data extension when troubleshooting why someone didn’t receive an email, the problematic data extension should be added to the “Request Form” tab of the automatic refresh spreadsheet.
Communication with eComm Users in Non-Compliance
Despite the method in which the data extension gets added to the automatic refresh process, the eComm specialist needs to facilitate a conversation with the eComm user who sent to the non-compliant data extension to correct the behavior moving forward. Items to discuss:
- Nature of CAN-SPAM and consequences of violation
- Why data extensions need to be refreshed and instructions on how to do so
- If the eComm user is utilizing the “Import Completion Settings” feature (screenshot below) for the non-compliant data extension, they will receive an email every evening when the automation runs.
- If the email notifies them that the import has failed, there is no action required on their end, as the UIS team will address and resolve the error.
- When it comes to managing these emails, eComm users can either remove their email from the “send notification email to” box or create an Outlook rule to route all notifications to a location other than their primary inbox
- Reiterate that all data extensions should be refreshed before each and every send; the automation process is meant to serve as a backup and does NOT replace the need to manually refresh.
All data extensions submitted via the automatic refresh spreadsheet will be addressed on a rolling basis, and the UIS Team will notify the appropriate eComm specialist when the setup of the automation has been completed.
- Each data extension will be set to refresh every evening after business hours. The UIS Team will monitor this process and address any automations that fail.