Don’t let the upcoming Oct. 6 system outage put a snag in your work
SYSTEMWIDE DATA CENTER MOVE STILL UNDERWAY
Business operations to be impacted until Tuesday, Oct. 10
After a successful move to the Anschutz Health Sciences Building Data Center, engineers discovered a software issue that is delaying the relaunch of systemwide applications. UIS currently anticipates it will take an additional 24 hours to resolve.
All impacted applications are now anticipated to be available by 8 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 10. Learn more
Many crucial production services will go offline at noon Friday, Oct. 6 when CU’s data servers are shut down and relocated to a new facility on the Anschutz Medical Campus. The 68-hour outage window will run from noon on Friday, Oct. 6 to 8 a.m. Monday, Oct. 9.
For human resources and payroll professionals, this outage will impact HCM, employee and student portals, My Leave, FIN and dozens of other systemwide applications.
As a consequence, all HCM users are advised:
- Avoid running any reports or queries on the morning of Oct. 6, as they may not complete before the hard cutoff at noon.
- Ensure all transactions are completed before the hard cutoff at noon.
- Understand that any unfinished work in the affected system applications will be lost.
- Employee Services benefits, payroll, and the HCM support center will close at noon Oct. 6.
Plan any payroll tasks around the outage
Vital payroll systems, including HCM, MyLeave and FIN, will be unavailable during the outage window from noon on Friday, Oct. 6 to 8 a.m. Monday, Oct. 9.
As a result, some payroll deadlines have shifted. All deadlines are up-to-date on the October payroll production calendar and key deadlines around the time of the Data Center move are outlined below:
- Thursday, Oct. 5: Biweekly payroll uploads for BW093023 are due as usual at 5 p.m. MT.
- Friday Oct. 6: Pay day for OC092823 (which processed Oct. 4) will complete as usual. The data center will shut down at noon.
- Saturday and Sunday, Oct. 7-8: The data center will remain offline through the weekend.
- Monday, Oct. 9: The data center will come back online at 8 a.m. Processing for BW093023 will run on Oct. 9 instead of Oct. 6.
- Tuesday, Oct. 10: The payroll register for BW093023 will be available.
- Wednesday, Oct. 11: The pay pull deadline for BW093023 is 10 a.m.
Be aware of impacted systems
The relocation of CU’s data center involves disconnecting and moving 11 tons of equipment used to run crucial applications, store data and transmit information. The data center is being moved to a new state-of-the-art data center in the Anschutz Health Sciences Building.
This new facility will improve the performance of CU’s data center hardware and allow room for the data center to grow. The physical relocation of this equipment requires the servers to be shut down and moved over a 68-hour window. During this window from noon Friday, Oct. 6 to 8 a.m. Monday, Oct. 9, the following applications will be completely unavailable:
Some applications not hosted by CU’s data center will still be available. Available systems include:
Additional campus-specific applications that rely on CU System applications will be impacted during the implementation window.
The outage necessitated by the data center move will present challenges for departments across our four campuses. UIS has worked with campus partners to plan the shortest move window possible, timed to avoid traditional work hours as much as possible.
Please reach out to the UIS Service Desk with questions at 303-860-HELP (4357) or email@example.com.