We understand that your first priority is your role as a student, which is why we prioritized your academic success when drafting its Student Employment Policy.

To work at CU System, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be enrolled in at least six credit hours during the fall and spring semesters. (Exceptions must be approved by the department or unit's vice president.)
  • While you do not have to take summer semester courses to be eligible to work during summer, you must still meet the above spring and fall enrollment requirements to maintain summer student employment.
  • If you hold more than one job at CU System Administration and/or on a CU campus, you must notify each of your supervisors and tell them which of your positions you'd like to be considered your primary job. You must also make note that:
    • You may work a maximum of 25 hours a week, or 50 hours per pay period if you're paid biweekly, among all your jobs during the fall and spring semester
    • You may work a maximum of 40 hours a week, or 80 hours per pay period if you're paid biweekly, among all your jobs during summer semester.     

As a student employee, you must notify your supervisor(s) if/when you will exceed the maximum allowed work hours.

Please note: System Administration is considered an off-campus employer with regards to international students. If you are an international student please read more information from the International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS). Please direct all questions regarding your eligibility to work for System Administration to your campus ISSS office.

See the full CU System Employment Policy. 

Onboarding Checklist

Make sure you've completed the following tasks before getting started in your role as a CU student employee.

  1. Bring important documents with you on your first day:

    • documents to complete your I-9, which include but aren't limited to your driver's license or identification card, a copy of our birth certificate, a passport or passport card and a permanent resident card or alien registration receipt card (See a full list of acceptable documents.)
    • emergency contact information
  2. Complete important forms:

    • Form I-9 though HireRight (to verify that you're eligible to work in the United States)

    • Form W-4 (To tell CU how much tax to withhold from your pay)

    • Direct Deposit Authorization

  3. Take required training for your job.

  4. Ensure you know when you'll be paid and which taxes will be deducted from your pay.

  5. Read about your contributions to CU's Student Employee Retirement Plan.