Managing student debt? As a CU employee, you may qualify for Public Service Loan Forgiveness—a program that rewards college graduates who work in the public sector.
To enroll, you’ll need to sign up for a qualifying repayment program. Once you make 120 qualifying payments, the federal government will relieve the remaining balance.
Do I qualify?
To apply for the program, you need to meet the following criteria:
You must work at least 30 hours a week (if you work more than one job, total hours should equal 30 or greater).
You are currently paying off William D. Ford Federal Direct Loans.
- To qualify for loan forgiveness, you may consolidate non-direct loans into a Federal Direct Consolidation Loan.
- Perkins Loans and Pell Grants do not qualify. If you consolidate your Direct Loans with these federal loans, you will no longer qualify.
You must enroll in either of the following repayment plans:
For more information on qualifying, please visit the Federal Student Aid website.
What’s considered a “qualifying payment?”
According to the Federal Student Aid website, a qualifying monthly payment is a payment that you make:
- after October 1, 2007;
- under a qualifying repayment plan;
- for the full amount due as shown on your bill;
- no later than 15 days after your due date; and
- while you are employed full-time by a qualifying employer.
You can make qualifying monthly payments only during periods when you are required to make a payment. Therefore, you cannot make a qualifying monthly payment while your loans are in:
- an in-school status,
- the grace period,
- a deferment,
- a forbearance, or
Ready to sign up?
Here’s what we need from you:
- Download the Public Service Loan Forgiveness form.
- Complete Sections 1 and 2.
- Email the form to firstname.lastname@example.org
- CU System Human Resources will complete Sections 3 and 4 and return the form to you.
- Submit the completed from to the address listed in Section 7.
For specific information regarding duties including forbearance request forms, verifiers should contact the department liaison in which the employee resides.