Interested in using the Tuition Assistance Benefit?

Read over common questions on the following topics:

Courses and Registration

When can I enroll?

On all campuses, employees may register seven (7) calendar days prior to the first day of the semester or the first day of class, whichever is earlier. This applies to both undergraduate and graduate courses.

Dependents can register on the normally designated registration date.

I submitted the Tuition Assistance Benefit Application, but my requested classes are already full. What should I do?

We suggest writing down all courses you'd like to take so each will be verified during initial processing. When you enroll, select your top choice; if it's full, continue down your list until you're accepted into a verified course.

If all your requested classes are full, you will need to resubmit the application and note all courses you're requesting for the tuition assistance benefit. If no classes of interest are available and you don't end up enrolling, your credits will be available for future use. You do not need to inform Employee Services if you decide not to enroll. 

How do I find out my student ID or IdentiKey for registering for courses?

Your campus admissions office can assist you in obtaining your student ID. 

  • CU-Boulder: 303-492-6301
  • CU Denver and CU Anschutz: 303-315-2601
  • UCCS: 719-255-3383

Contact Boulder OIT for IdentiKey assistance. 

My course needs instructor consent. How do I enroll in this course? 

Once the professor gives you permission to enroll, please work with the department and/or the Office of the Registrar to complete the registration process. You do not need to submit any paperwork nor confirmation to Employee Services. 

Eligibility Questions

I am a CU employee and my spouse is a CU employee. Can I use my spouse’s benefit for myself?

No. You and your dependent spouse cannot be covered as both an employee and dependent under Tution Assistance Benefit. You are identified as an employee and must follow all employee rules under eligibility.   

I want to waive my TAB and give it to my dependent, what is required? 

You must provide Dependent Eligibility Verification documents for dependent spouse or child and be approved for eligibility. Review the Dependent Eligibility Verification (DEV) and Required Documents form for additional information.

Submitting the Tuition Assistance Benefit application

Where do I submit the Tuition Assitance Benefit application?

Fill out the online application in the employee portal. We’ll send you an email confirmation noting we've received your form within 24 hours of you submitting the tuition assistance benefit application.

Which must be submitted first: the Tuition Assistance Benefit Application or my admissions application?

You may submit the admissions application and the Tuition Assistance Benefit application simultaneously; however, you must meet each individual deadline.

If eligibility is denied for you, your dependent or your courses, you must pay for the course if you or your dependent continues taking the course.  

I’ve already submitted the Tuition Assistance Benefit Application and decided I want to take different courses. What should I do?

You must resubmit a tuition assistance benefit application listing all courses that you're requesting for the current semester. When you resubmit a tuition assistance benefit application of the same term/campus/person, the system will automatically cancel all previous applications.

I am an employee and not currently a student. How do I get a student ID?

First, submit a degree/non-degree-seeking application for the campus where you plan to attend classes. The Office of Admissions will provide you a student identification number within several business days. 

Billing, Fees and Costs

What are the fees and additional non-waived tuition not covered by the Tuition Assistance Benefit?

Because student fees and tuition costs vary at each campus, you should contact your campus bursar's office. The tuition assistance benefit only covers tuition costs for eligible courses within your allotted amount for the academic year.

What is the tax impact of the Tuition Assistance Benefit?

The tax impact of using the tuition assistance benefit varies based on the course level, amount of tuition waived per calendar year (January-December) and whether an employee or a dependent is using the benefit. See our taxes page for more information. 

When will I be taxed? 

Taxation on the Tuition Assistance Benefit is calculated on the calendar year, from January to December. Note: This is different than how tuition credits are given, which is based on the academic year.

What are the rates on which I will be taxed?

You will be taxed at supplemental rates of federal, state, Social Security and Medicare. For supplemental Social Security and Medicare tax rates, please visit The IRS' tax topics Web page.

Using the Benefit

When can I use my nine credit hours per year?

All campuses offer the  Tuition Assistance Benefit for Fall, Spring and Summer semesters as well as Maymester, summer sessions and Winterim. Credits do not roll over but refresh each fall (the beginning of the academic year). 

Can I split my nine credits over different semesters?

Yes. Make sure to submit a new Tuition Assistance Benefit Application for each semester you use the benefit. 

Can I use the tuition assistance benefit for graduate classes? 

Yes. You can use your tuition assistance benefit for up to nine credit hours each year for undergraduate or graduate credit-granting courses, based on your and the courses' eligibility. Dependents can use the benefit for graduate classes only on your campus of employment/Option A-Home Campus.

Can I take any courses offered at CU Anschutz using the tuition assistance benefit?

Yes. You may take courses in the School of Nursing or Public Health programs only (excluding PUBH 6606, BIOS 6990, CBHS 6990, EHOH 6990, EHOH 6990, HSMP 6990, PMHW 6990 and PUBH 6991). You may not take restricted section types (e.g., extended studies, Continuing Education, etc.). 

I want to take classes at a different campus than where I work. Do I need to fill out an admission application if I have never taken a course at that campus?

Yes. If you are not currently active at the campus as either a degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking student, you must submit an admission application. 

I will be taking a class during working hours, and I filled out the necessary paperwork with my supervisor. Do I need to submit a copy of this agreement?

No. This does not affect your eligibility toward the benefit.

How old does my child need to be to use my benefit?

Your child must be old enough to be able to register to the campus. However, he or she cannot be older than 27 years and one month to use your benefit. At that age, your child is no longer eligible to use your medical, dental or vision plans, except in extenuating circumstances.

Can I split my tuition assistance benefit among multiple dependents?

Yes. You can split your Option A-Home Campus for nine credits per academic year or Option B-Other Campus for $270/credit hour for up to nine credit hours per academic year among multiple verified dependents at the same campus. For example, one dependent may receive 4 credits and a second dependent may receive the remaining 5 credits per academic year.

The only exception: CU Boulder's dependent Option A-Home Campus allows each dependent to receive a 30 percent tuition discount every semester.