University contracts with rental vehicle agencies include commercial vehicles as well as cars. Refer to the information below when renting a car for official university business.

Review rental guidelines and agreements

Agreements and discounts can be used by employees, students, and non-employees renting a vehicle for official University business. 

In most cases, decline all insurance. Damage Waiver (DW) insurance is provided at no cost to traveler on official University business when renting with CU rates from contract rental agencies in the U.S. This relieves CU renters and authorized drivers from financial responsibility for loss of. or damage to. the rental vehicle.

  • Some countries require traveler to purchase additional rental vehicle insurance; this cost is allowable if requirement for insurance is documented. 
  • Limited, secondary insurance coverage is provided by Visa when using your US Bank Travel Card when certain terms and conditions are met.   If you have additional questions regarding this coverage, contact 1.800.VISA.911
  • Insurance coverage allows for companion drivers. This means that if your spouse accompanies you on a University road trip, your spouse can drive the vehicle with no additional fees and with full coverage.
  • CU contracts eliminate additional fees for young drivers. Rental car companies traditionally charge additional fees for young renters (drivers under 25 years of age). On CU business, this fee is waived for drivers aged 18-21 years old (varies by agency).


The University has agreements with several car rental companies. Phone numbers for rental car partners are provided below. Agreements include insurance coverage for any individuals 18 and older renting a standard vehicle. See Passenger Vans for agency-specific age requirements


  • Contact: 800.633.3469, book through Concur, or call Christopherson Business Travel.


  • Contact: 800.218.7992, book through Concur, or call Christopherson Business Travel.


  • Contact: 855.266.9289, book through Concur, or call Christopherson Business Travel.


  • Contact: 800.654.3131, book through Concur, or call Christopherson Business Travel.


  • Contact: 877.222.9058, book through Concur, or call Christopherson Business Travel.

Passenger Vans

  • For all contracts (Avis/Budget, Enterprise/National, and Hertz) - The minimum age requirement for passenger van rental is 21 years.

Enroll in reward programs

If you opt to enroll in one or more of the following car rental rewards programs, be sure to add the rewards numbers to your Concur profile to ensure all trips are automatically applied.

Reserve a vehicle

To reserve online               

  1. Access Concur via your campus portal
  2. Under Trip Search, select the car icon tab and enter search criteria
  3. Make a vehicle selection 
  4. Review vehicle information and click Reserve Car and Continue
  5. Confirm your reservation by reviewing your travel details, then click Next
  6. Enter your 8-digit SpeedType and identify if the trip is grant funded, then click Next
  7. Finalize your reservation by reviewing details, then click Confirm Bookings

To reserve by phone

  1. Contact for discount code(s). 
  2. Call the desired agency
  3. Indicate that you are using a University of Colorado discount code
  4. Provide the appropriate discount code to receive CU rates and insurance.

Pick up rental vehicle and retain receipt

  1. Provide your Travel Card or personal credit card as payment
  2. Confirm that CU agreement and rate has been applied, which includes Damage Waiver (DW) insurance.
    If the type of vehicle being rented is not covered by the CU agreement (such as some vans, trucks, and SUVs), you may purchase collision damage coverage and submit that expense upon conclusion of the trip. For insurance on commercial vehicles, see Commercial Vehicle Rental.
  3. Retain itemized receipts and proof of payment for car rental costs and rental car gas expenses over $75. If e-receipts are available from the rental car agency, paper receipts need not be attached to the expense report.

Claim expenses

Upon conclusion of the trip, submit expenses as follows:

  • Concur is used to reconcile Travel Card charges and to request reimbursement for University travel and non-travel-related expenses by employees, Regents, non-employees, and students.
  • The Non-Employee Reimbursement-International (NRI) paper form is used to request reimbursement for non-employees/students who are non-U.S. persons or who live at non-U.S. addresses.

Traveler’s costs cannot be reimbursed until after the trip is completed.

Agency proof of insurance coverage

If you’re involved in an accident

As with any accident, be sure to contact the authorities, if appropriate. Collect contact and insurance information from the driver of the other vehicle.

File an affidavit/ accident claim with the car rental agency.

If you have any issues receiving a resolution with any of the CU partner car rental agencies, contact Shannon Miller at or 303.764.3457 for support.