A POI is affiliated with the university but is not paid as an employee. POI include volunteer faculty, off-campus Work-Study employers, employees of University Physicians, Inc. (UPI) and visiting scholars.
Step-by-Step: Adding a Person of Interest (POI)
Step-by-Step: Adding an Additional POI Type to a Person of Interest
Step-by-Step: Maintaining a POI Relationship
Worksheet: Adding a Person of Interest (POI)
Job Aid: Person of Interest (POI) Types
Procedural Statement: Use of Social Security Numbers
Worksheet: Personal Information Worksheet
POI Information and Policies
A POI may have multiple affiliations with the university without having a job record; however, he/she may also have multiple affiliations as well as a paying job with CU.
POI are defined as a relationship with a sponsor in the Human Capital Management (HCM). Much of the POI relationship is handled at the department level and through the POI sponsors.
POI are often subject to many of the same rules and policies as employees (Office of Discrimination and Harassment (ODH), background checks, smoking, information technology (IT), etc.), but some unique situations or applications of those policies may apply to POI. The policies themselves will typically cover those details.
POI should work closely with their sponsors and HCM Community members as they will likely be able to provide the most current information about how to obtain access to buildings, parking, systems, etc.
POI and University Policy
POI, at least those in what we call security-sensitive positions, are subject to background checks either through their own employer or through the university's program. More information can be found at: the Office of Policy and Efficiency.
POI are subject to university policies on Protected Class Discrimination and Harassment and Sexual Harassment, and must comply with the mandatory training requirements through the Office of Discrimination and Harassment.
POI Access to University Systems
CU System: Access the employee portal
UCCS: POI Accounts
- UCCS Access Service Requests: UCCS Help Desk
- Accounts for individuals (POI): Individuals outside UCCS' payroll system who request an IT account should follow the instructions below.
Examples of these accounts would be an unpaid staff or faculty member who needs an account (e.g., an ROTC member or volunteer).
- Human resources officials process account requests for individuals. The POI must complete the POI Worksheet to obtain an IT login.
- To request an account, please refer to the Add a Person (POI) Step-by-Step Guide.
- The Adding a Person of Interest Form must be signed by a department sponsor and turned in to the appropriate person. IT departments cannot accept or process these forms.
- The account sponsor will be notified once the account has been created.
- PLEASE NOTE: Accounts are active for six months.
- CU System : HCM Access and New User Training
CU-Boulder POI (particularly those in volunteer, non-paid positions) may be eligible for special parking arrangements while on campus, and should work with their department liaison and Parking and Transportation Services (PTS) Department at 303-492-7152 for more information.
In most cases, POI will be eligible for a temporary BuffOne Card to grant them access to facilities as needed, access the library, load dining dollars and other campus services for which they are eligible. For more information, employees should work with their HR liaisons and the BuffOne Card office. Find more BuffOne Card information for CU visitors and guests.
Contact the CU-Boulder Human Resources Department for more information.
For more information for your campus/office: