When entering a requisition in CU Marketplace, you can split the accounting distribution for that purchase between more than one SpeedType and/or more than one Account code.
There are two ways to identify accounting information on a requisition: at the ‘header level’ and at the ‘line level’. You can split the accounting distribution at either level. What’s the difference?
- Accounting information at the ‘header level’: The SpeedType and Account values you enter on the header will apply to all lines of the requisition unless you specify otherwise on the line level.
- Accounting information at the ‘line level’: The SpeedType and Account values you enter on individual line/s will override any header-level accounting information.
Read the procedures
- From the shopping cart, click the Add Speedtype/Shipping/etc. button located in the upper right corner.
- Scroll to the Accounting Codes tab.
- Edit the Accounting codes at either the header or line level.
To split accounting information at the header level: Locate the header section and click the edit or pencil icon, on the right side of the screen.
To split accounting information at the line level instead: Scroll down to see the requisition lines. Click the menu or three dots icon, on the right side of the line. Select Override Accounting Codes.
Note: If you want to split between different Account Code values, make that distinction at the line level and not at the header level.
- In the Accounting Codes popup, click the add split or plus sign icon in the top right corner.
- Use the dropdown on the right side to identify how the split should be made:
- % of Price
- % of Qty
- Amount of Price
- Amount of Quantity (For line level splits, only.)
- If splitting by percentage, the total of all split values should equal 100%.
- It is OK to split by percentage at the header.
- If you want to specify exact dollar amount splits, do that on the individual line/s. Do not split by dollar amount at the header since this causes problems with payment and encumbrance processing.
- Enter the appropriate accounting information for the split.
- If you have added the SpeedType to your CU Marketplace profile, click the Code favorites or heart icon... to access your SpeedType list. Use the dropdown menu to select your SpeedType.
- If needed, click Search or magnifying glass icon… link to search for the SpeedType using the Custom Field Search. Click select or the plus icon next to the appropriate value.
- To populate an Account code, click Search or magnifying glass icon to search for the account code using the Custom Field Search. Click select next to the appropriate value.
- Click the recalculate/validate link to return the corresponding Fund, Org, Program or Project value values.
- If you need to remove a split, click delete or trash bin icon next to that line of accounting information.
- Click Save to return to the shopping cart.
- Repeat any line level splits as necessary for any lines of the requisition that should override header level accounting information.
I want SpeedType A to cover $250 of a $1,000 purchase order …. SpeedType B will cover the rest.
- What to do: At the header level, make the split: 25% SpeedType A and 75% SpeedType B. (Or, if there are multiple lines, enter SpeedType B at the header and then locate the individual lines that total $250 and adjust each of those lines to SpeedType A.)
- What NOT to do: Do not split by dollar amount ($250/$750) at the header level.
I’m purchasing 10 different items from Staples and have different SpeedTypes or Account Codes.
- What to do: Click the Accounting Codes tab. At the header, enter the primary SpeedType and Account Code that is used on the majority of the items. Then adjust the lines that will be charged to a different SpeedType or Account Code by clicking “Edit” next to each line that will have different accounting information. Once a line has been changed, you will have the ability to “copy to other lines” as needed.
- What NOT to do: Do not split Account codes at the header.
I’m purchasing capital equipment and other lab supplies. I want the capital equipment to go to Account code 810100 (Capital Equipment) and the supplies to go to Account code 530101 (Lab Supplies).
- What to do: At the header, enter the primary SpeedType and Account Code that is used on the majority of the items. Then adjust the lines that will be charged to a different SpeedType or Account Code by clicking “Edit” next to each line that will have different accounting information. Once a line has been changed, you will have the ability to “copy to other lines” as needed.
- What NOT to do: Do not split Account codes at the header. Make that distinction at the line level. The capital equipment should be allocated to the appropriate Account code, in the 810XXX series.