What is International Travel?
Any trip that is outside the 48 contiguous United States, Alaska, and Hawaii.
Requesting pre-approval for international travel
You must request pre-approval for international travel through the Concur Travel & Expense System (Concur). Concur routes the request for approval to the traveler's HR Supervisor or SpeedType Approver; the International Travel Approver/Officer for the traveler’s organizational unit; and (if the trip is to a high-risk destination) the appropriate Chancellor/President or their delegate. This process is required whether the trip is funded by CU or by an outside entity.
The pre-approval process ensures that:
- The University can consistently and thoroughly assess the risks and benefits of international trips with regards to the safety of University travelers; and,
- Important information about regulatory compliance and export controls is communicated to the traveler and the appropriate campus export control office.
For detailed instructions, see Requesting Approval for International Travel.
Once the pre-approval request is fully approved, Concur sends an email notification to Christopherson Business Travel (CBT) and to the traveler.
Fly America Act (flying on federal funds)
If your airfare will be paid for by federal funds, you need to be familiar with the Fly America Act.
CIBTvisas: Visa and Passport Services
CIBTvisas is the leading global provider of travel visas, passports, and non-negotiable travel documents. Through our customized CIBT website, https://cibtvisas.com/cu, the partnership with CIBTvisas offers several benefits to CU travelers, including:
- Preferred discounted pricing (40% discount) utilizing the link below or by referencing the CU account number
- Global reach and local expertise, with over 70 offices worldwide
- Compliance with FCPA (Foreign Corrupt Practices Act) and GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation)
- Secure, safe, and easy transactions
- Live customer care Monday-Friday, with e-support Saturday-Sunday
- Real-time order tracking 24/7
US CIBT Account Number for the University of Colorado: 33517
Direct Link to CIBT: https://cibtvisas.com/cu
US Customer Care: 800.929.2428
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday; 6:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. (MST)
24/7 Email Support: email@example.com
The University provides employees with international medical and evacuation insurance that covers medical emergencies, security emergencies, or natural disasters through GeoBlue.
Furthermore, the University has a membership with a travel assistance provider, International SOS (iSOS), to provide additional services when traveling abroad. When making arrangements through CBT, employees are automatically enrolled for iSOS services.
For trips that are purchased by a third party or booked outside of CBT, be sure to self-register your international trip with iSOS.
Refer to the University Risk Management International Travel Guidelines for detailed information on coverage, accountability, waivers, releases, consents, risk assessment, and emergency planning checklist.