Learn about impacts of recent changes on our Tax Code Changes website.
Authorization: You can run m-Fin reports in CU-Data if you have a fiscal role on a SpeedType or if you have access to the Finance System.
Access: Log in to your campus portal and on the CU Resources tab, select Quick Links, CU-Data.
Training: In-person training on how to run and read m-Fin reports is available from the campus controllers’ offices and through the OUC's Continuing Professional Education Program. Online learning resources are available, below.
Getting Started with CU-Data
CU-Data How-to Videos
- How-To: Running a Report in CU-Data - Are you ready to run a report in the upgraded CU Reporting System? The navigation has changed a bit, but you'll find the prompts and m-Fin reports are essentially the same!
- How-To: Drilling Down in CU-Data - Do you run m-Fin Reports and want to know more about what’s behind the numbers? Whenever text is underlined and in blue, you can click on it to run the m-Fin report that shows the next level of detail.
- How-To: Creating Report Views in CU-Data - Do you regularly run reports for the same SpeedTypes? Saving pre-set prompt values for your Cognos reports can save you time and effort.
- How-to: Scheduling Reports for Month-End/Year-End Close - Do you run the same m-Fin reports after each month-end close? In CU-Data, you can schedule these reports to run automatically.
- How-to: Understanding PO Encumbrances - Want to see how purchase order encumbrances and actual expenses look on your m-Fin Financial Detail report? PO encumbrance entries will show under the Encumb column, with a BAE Code beginning with EN. Your actual expense entries will show under the Actual column, with a BAE Code of ACTUALS.
- How-to: Updating Your Home Page in CU-Data - Do you mostly use a single m-Fin report or Report View? You can save a few clicks by updating your home page so that you land directly on that item any time you open CU-Data.
- How-To: Looking up Available Gift Fund Balances - You can look up the CU Foundation available balance for a linked Fund 34 Gift Speedtype in the Finance System -- or run an m-Fin report in the CU-Data System
m-Fin Reports Learning Resources
Monthly Financial Report Review Reports
- m-Fin SpeedType Summary - Shows a one-line-per-SpeedType report showing budget, actuals, and available balance for a given period, as of the close of business for the previous day.
- m-Fin Operating Summary -Shows a one-page-per-SpeedType report that shows the available balance calculation, as well as revenue and expenditures by various account levels. To view assets and liabilities, if it is relevant to fund type.
- m-Fin Outstanding Encumbrances - Shows an itemized list for all financial expenses committed but not yet occurred for a given SpeedType or purchase order.
- m-Fin Financial Detail - Shows an itemized list of all transactions for revenue, expense, and balance sheet accounts.
- m-Fin Financial Detail II - Shows all transactions for revenue/expense and balance sheet accounts with additional features and options not available in m-Fin Financial Detail
- m-Fin Resource Deficit & Abnormal Balance - Shows SpeedTypes with negative cash balances or positive net assets. Shows account codes with abnormal balances (i.e., debit accounts with credit balances or credit accounts with debit balances).
- m-Fin SpeedType One-Liner - Shows the financial basics for multiple speedtypes, in a one-line-per-speedtype presentation.
Revenue and Expenditure Reports
- m-Fin Revenue and Expenditure Summary - Shows summarized balances for revenue and expenditure accounts for a SpeedType.
- m-Fin Revenue and Expenditure Total - Shows summarized balances for revenue and expenditure accounts by Org, Fund Type, or a customized group of SpeedTypes, with page breaks by fund.
- m-Fin BAE by Month - Summary - Shows current budget, monthly actuals, and current encumbrances within a fiscal year.
- m-Fin Expenditure Actuals by Month - Total - Shows summarized expenditure categories by month within a fiscal year, paged by fund. Shows summarized expenditure categories by month within a fiscal year, with an all funds total.
- m-Fin Revenue and Expenditure Actuals by Month - Total - Shows summarized revenue and expenditure categories by month within a fiscal year, with page breaks by fund.
Expenditure Type Reports
- m-Fin Expenditure Type Summary - Shows a summary by expenditure types (salaries and wages, benefits, operating expenses, and travel) for a given SpeedType (also displays graphically).
- m-Fin Expenditure Type - Shows summarized expenditure categories within a fiscal year, subtotaled by org and grouped by fund.
- m-Fin Expenditures Cumulative by Month Charts - Shows summarized expenditure categories by month across fiscal years by SpeedType, Program or Project, displayed in the following graphs: Budget Minus Encumbrances and Prorated Budget.
- m-Fin Org Expenditures by Month - Shows totals for expenditure types by month, for a single Org, for a designated length of time.
Balance Sheet Reports
Trial Balance Reports
- m-Fin Trial Balance Summary - Shows the Balance Sheet Summary and the Revenue and Expenditure Summary within one report, with page breaks by SpeedType.
- m-Fin Trial Balance Total - Shows a summary of total assets and liabilities, as well as revenue and expenditures for an Org or a customized group of SpeedTypes within one report, with page breaks by fund.
Account Number Reports
- m-Fin Account Number - Shows a summation of account codes across different FOPPS/SpeedTypes.
- m-Fin Account by Fund - Shows aggregate account code totals by Org or for a group of SpeedTypes, with Fund Types/Groups in columns.
- m-Fin Account Range by Fund - Shows aggregate account code range totals by Org or for a group of SpeedTypes, with Fund Types/Groups in columns.
- m-Fin Account Actuals Period by Fiscal Year - Shows totals for a single account code or a range of account codes, in a SpeedType or Project, for each accounting period (rows) across fiscal years (columns).
- m-Fin Account Tree Actuals by Fiscal Year - Shows account code totals for an Org or SpeedType by fiscal year.
- m-Fin Account Tree Actuals by SpeedType - Shows summarized account code information for one or more SpeedTypes, displayed in columns.
- m-Fin Actuals by Fiscal Year - Shows summarized high-level account range totals for an Org or customized group of SpeedTypes by fiscal year. This report includes a summary of Budget-Actual-Encumbrance (BAE) totals.
- m-Fin Budget to Actual - Shows budget, actuals, and encumbrances with one line per SpeedType. Shows continuing and temporary budgets for each SpeedType.
- m-Fin LAUNCH - Shows a menu of reports given a SpeedType or Org, recommending different reports for each fund type including an all funds view.
- m-Fin Accounting Summary - Shows the net assets and liabilities at the beginning of the fiscal year and subsequent revenues and expenditures in a one-line-per-SpeedType format. Shows current cash balance.
- m-Fin Accounting Summary by SpeedType: Shows summarized account code information for one or more SpeedTypes, displayed in columns. Shows total budget, actuals, and encumbrance information for one or more SpeedTypes, displayed in columns.
- m-Fin Accounting Summary Fund 34 - Shows the net assets and liabilities at the beginning of the fiscal year and subsequent revenues and expenditures for a Fund 34 SpeedType. Shows the available balance for linked CU Foundation funds.
- m-Fin Audit Trail - Shows a summation of account code balances for SpeedTypes for specified funds.
- m-Fin ESP Transactions - Shows Procurement Card transactions by cardholder name, with the ability to filter by vendor name.
- m-Fin Gross Margin COGS - Shows revenue and cost of goods sold for an Org or SpeedType that sells inventory (such as a campus bookstore).
- m-Fin NACUBO Expense Purpose - Shows budget, actual, and encumbrance expenditure amounts for an Org by expense purpose code.
- m-Fin Org Tree Lineage - Shows the organizational tree lineage for an organizational code/node.
- m-Fin Org Tree List - Shows the organizational tree hierarchy for an organizational code/node.
- m-Fin Account Tree List - Shows Account Tree lists at different levels. Speedtype Look-Ups
- m-Fin SpeedType List - Shows an attributes list of active/inactive SpeedType(s).
- m-Fin Fiscal Roles - Shows positions and individuals that have been assigned fiscal roles (e.g. program manager, project principal) for a specific SpeedType, Organization Code, Organization Node, or Position Number. Note: This report does not display budgets, actuals, or encumbrances. Each different fiscal role listing starts on its own page.
- m-Fin Fiscal Role: Shows fiscal roles for a specific employee/position number, or org code(s) (pages by Fiscal Role).
- m-Fin Source Code: Shows detailed information for a specific Source Code.
- m-Fin Tree Zoom: Shows a top-down analysis of expenditure actuals, with the ability to drill to descending org and account trees.
- m-Fin Award: Shows a one page summary of the financial activity associated with an award.
- m-Fin Payments Received - Shows payments received from granting agencies for Clinical Trials.
- m-Fin Payments Received Org Overview - Shows payments received from granting agencies for Clinical Trials, summarized by each project within an organization.
- m-FIN Project Actuals Detail – Shows expenditures on a project that have occurred before or after a particular date of significance to the project.
- m-FIN Project Expenditures by Month – Shows summarized project expenditures by month for any specified range of months, including the for the federal fiscal year.
- m-Fin Project Financial Status: Shows an Available Balance Summary, an optional Assets and Liabilities Summary, highly summarized Expenditures summary, an optional cumulative expenditures chart, and an optional salaries, wages, and benefits section, for a specific Project (with consolidated subclasses).
- m-Fin Project One-Liner: Shows the financial basics for a project(s) in a one-line presentation.
- m-Fin Project Spending Trends: Shows an analysis of a Project at the Project level, rather than the SpeedType level (for projects that have subclasses).
- m-Fin Receivables Activity: Shows detailed receivables for a Project, for any Source Code that is not from the revenue recognition process.
- m-Fin Receivables Transaction Finder: Shows search results for a payment, by dollar amount, or Project ID, from a Project sponsor that was booked to the wrong FOPPS.
- m-Fin Project SpeedType One-Liner: Shows the financial basis for multiple projects, in a one-line-per-speedtype presentation. This is similar to the m-FIN Project One-liner, but, for multi-speedtype projects, each speedtype gets its own line. Multi-speedtype projects are those projects using subclass.
- m-Fin Compensation Summary - Totals pay by position.
- m-Fin Payroll Transactions - Lists the detail accounting for pay and benefits for an employee over a range of accounting periods you specify. This detail is then summed into a compensation summary on the final page.
- m-Fin Position Budget Report - Shows position budgets compared to payments, and monthly payments to each position over time.
- m-FIN Position Budget II – Shows position budget transactions in comparison to the actuals transactions side-by-side over a period of time.
- m-Fin Payroll Accounting Period: Shows summarized payroll information for a specific accounting period, by SpeedType, sorted by employee.
- m-Fin Payroll Fiscal Year: Shows summarized payroll information for a fiscal year, displayed by month, for a specific employee or SpeedType (sorted by employee).
- m-Fin Payroll Fiscal Year Detail: Shows detailed payroll information, for a fiscal year, displayed by month, for a specific employee or SpeedType (sorted by employee).
CU-Data Query Studio
CU-Data Query Studio