m-Fin Reports are financial reports created in CU’s Cognos software and accessed through the CU-Data system in the portal.
You can run m-Fin reports in CU-Data if you have a fiscal role on a SpeedType or if you have access to the Finance System. Log in to your campus portal and on the CU Resources Home tab, click the CU-Data tile.
In-person training on how to run and read m-Fin reports is available from the campus controllers’ offices and through the OUC's Continuing Professional Education Program. Online learning resources are available, below. To stay up to date with changes in reports, sign up for the m-Fin blog.
You can run the m-Fin Launch report to see a list of suggested reports for your SpeedType, Org, or project.
CU-Data How-to Videos
- How-to: Running a Report in CU-Data - Are you ready to run a report in the upgraded CU Reporting System? The navigation has changed a bit, but you'll find the prompts and m-Fin reports are essentially the same!
- How-to: Drilling Down in CU-Data - Do you run m-Fin Reports and want to know more about what’s behind the numbers? Whenever text is underlined and in blue, you can click on it to run the m-Fin report that shows the next level of detail.
- How-to: Creating Report Views in CU-Data - Do you regularly run reports for the same SpeedTypes? Saving pre-set prompt values for your Cognos reports can save you time and effort.
- How-to: Scheduling Reports for Month-End/Year-End Close - Do you run the same m-Fin reports after each month-end close? In CU-Data, you can schedule these reports to run automatically.
- How-to: Understanding PO Encumbrances - Want to see how purchase order encumbrances and actual expenses look on your m-Fin Financial Detail report? PO encumbrance entries will show under the Encumb column, with a BAE Code beginning with EN. Your actual expense entries will show under the Actual column, with a BAE Code of ACTUALS.
- How-to: Updating Your Home Page in CU-Data - Do you mostly use a single m-Fin report or Report View? You can save a few clicks by updating your home page so that you land directly on that item any time you open CU-Data.
- How-to: Looking up Available Gift Fund Balances - You can look up the CU Foundation available balance for a linked Fund 34 Gift Speedtype in the Finance System -- or run an m-Fin report in the CU-Data System
Monthly Financial Review Reports
- m-Fin SpeedType Summary - Shows a one-line-per-SpeedType report showing budget, actuals, and available balance for a given period, as of the close of business for the previous day.
- m-Fin Operating Summary -Shows a one-page-per-SpeedType report that shows the available balance calculation, as well as revenue and expenditures by various account levels. To view assets and liabilities, if it is relevant to fund type.
- m-Fin Outstanding Encumbrances - Shows an itemized list for all financial expenses committed but not yet occurred for a given SpeedType or purchase order.
- m-Fin Financial Detail - Shows an itemized list of all transactions for revenue, expense, and balance sheet accounts.
- m-Fin Financial Detail II - Shows all transactions for revenue/expense and balance sheet accounts with additional features and options not available in m-Fin Financial Detail
- m-Fin Resource Deficit & Abnormal Balance - Shows SpeedTypes with negative cash balances or positive net assets. Shows account codes with abnormal balances (i.e., debit accounts with credit balances or credit accounts with debit balances).
- m-Fin SpeedType One-Liner - Shows the financial basics for multiple speedtypes, in a one-line-per-speedtype presentation.
Revenue and Expenditure Reports
- m-Fin Revenue and Expenditure Summary - Shows summarized balances for revenue and expenditure accounts for a SpeedType.
- m-Fin Revenue and Expenditure Total - Shows summarized balances for revenue and expenditure accounts by Org, Fund Type, or a customized group of SpeedTypes, with page breaks by fund.
- m-Fin BAE by Month - Summary - Shows current budget, monthly actuals, and current encumbrances within a fiscal year.
- m-Fin Expenditure Actuals by Month - Total - Shows summarized expenditure categories by month within a fiscal year, paged by fund. Shows summarized expenditure categories by month within a fiscal year, with an all funds total.
- m-Fin Revenue and Expenditure Actuals by Month - Total - Shows summarized revenue and expenditure categories by month within a fiscal year, with page breaks by fund.
Expenditure Type Reports
- m-Fin Expenditure Type Summary - Shows a summary by expenditure types (salaries and wages, benefits, operating expenses, and travel) for a given SpeedType (also displays graphically).
- m-Fin Expenditure Type - Shows summarized expenditure categories within a fiscal year, subtotaled by org and grouped by fund.
- m-Fin Expenditures Cumulative by Month Charts - Shows summarized expenditure categories by month across fiscal years by SpeedType, Program or Project, displayed in the following graphs: Budget Minus Encumbrances and Prorated Budget.
- m-Fin Org Expenditures by Month - Shows totals for expenditure types by month, for a single Org, for a designated length of time.
Balance Sheet Reports
Trial Balance Reports
- m-Fin Trial Balance Summary - Shows the Balance Sheet Summary and the Revenue and Expenditure Summary within one report, with page breaks by SpeedType.
- m-Fin Trial Balance Total - Shows a summary of total assets and liabilities, as well as revenue and expenditures for an Org or a customized group of SpeedTypes within one report, with page breaks by fund.
Account Number Reports
- m-Fin Account Number - Shows a summation of account codes across different FOPPS/SpeedTypes.
- m-Fin Account by Fund - Shows aggregate account code totals by Org or for a group of SpeedTypes, with Fund Types/Groups in columns.
- m-Fin Account Range by Fund - Shows aggregate account code range totals by Org or for a group of SpeedTypes, with Fund Types/Groups in columns.
- m-Fin Account Actuals Period by Fiscal Year - Shows totals for a single account code or a range of account codes, in a SpeedType or Project, for each accounting period (rows) across fiscal years (columns).
- m-Fin Account Tree Actuals by Fiscal Year - Shows account code totals for an Org or SpeedType by fiscal year.
- m-Fin Account Tree Actuals by SpeedType - Shows summarized account code information for one or more SpeedTypes, displayed in columns.
- m-Fin Actuals by Fiscal Year - Shows summarized high-level account range totals for an Org or customized group of SpeedTypes by fiscal year. This report includes a summary of Budget-Actual-Encumbrance (BAE) totals.
- m-Fin Budget to Actual - Shows budget, actuals, and encumbrances with one line per SpeedType. Shows continuing and temporary budgets for each SpeedType.
- m-Fin LAUNCH - Shows a menu of reports given a SpeedType or Org, recommending different reports for each fund type including an all funds view.
- m-Fin Accounting Summary - Shows the net assets and liabilities at the beginning of the fiscal year and subsequent revenues and expenditures in a one-line-per-SpeedType format. Shows current cash balance.
- m-Fin Accounting Summary by SpeedType: Shows summarized account code information for one or more SpeedTypes, displayed in columns. Shows total budget, actuals, and encumbrance information for one or more SpeedTypes, displayed in columns.
- m-Fin Accounting Summary Fund 34 - Shows the net assets and liabilities at the beginning of the fiscal year and subsequent revenues and expenditures for a Fund 34 SpeedType. Shows the available balance for linked CU Foundation funds.
- m-Fin Audit Trail - Shows a summation of account code balances for SpeedTypes for specified funds.
- m-Fin ESP Transactions - Shows Procurement Card transactions by cardholder name, with the ability to filter by vendor name.
- m-Fin Gross Margin COGS - Shows revenue and cost of goods sold for an Org or SpeedType that sells inventory (such as a campus bookstore).
- m-Fin NACUBO Expense Purpose - Shows budget, actual, and encumbrance expenditure amounts for an Org by expense purpose code.
- m-Fin Org Tree Lineage - Shows the organizational tree lineage for an organizational code/node.
- m-Fin Org Tree List - Shows the organizational tree list for an organizational code/node.
- m-Fin Account Tree List - Shows the account tree list at different levels.
- m-Fin SpeedType List - Shows an attributes list of active/inactive SpeedType(s).
- m-Fin SpeedType Status - Shows SpeedType status along with effective dates for all SpeedTypes under a specified Org.
- m-Fin Fiscal Roles - Shows positions and individuals that have been assigned fiscal roles (e.g. program manager, project principal) for a specific SpeedType, Org or Position #. Each different fiscal role listing starts on its own page. Shows if a SpeedType Fiscal Staff role is an Approver, Reviewer, or Both.
- m-Fin Fiscal Roles II - Shows fiscal role assignments by SpeedType (all roles listed under each). Report can be run by SpeedType or Org.
- m-Fin Source Code Lookup - Shows detailed information for a specific Source Code.
- m-Fin Tree Zoom - Shows a top-down analysis of expenditure actuals, with the ability to drill to descending org and account trees.
- m-Fin Award - Shows a one page summary of the financial activity associated with an award, particularly for cases in which:
More than one project is set up for an award
More than one award code is set up for an award.
- m-Fin Award Expenditures by Month - Shows summarized expenditures for an award by month for any specified range of months, with an optional bar chart.
- m-Fin Expenditures Sponsor by Fiscal Year - Shows spending by sponsor across fiscal years for a specified Org.
- m-Fin LOC Pool
- m-Fin Payments Received - Shows payments received from granting agencies.
- m-Fin Payments Received Org Overview - Shows payments received from granting agencies, summarized by each project within an organization.
- m-FIN Project Actuals Detail – Shows expenditures on a project that have occurred before or after particular date of significance to the project. Shows all transfers booked on a project during a specified range of dates.
- m-FIN Project Expenditures by Month – Shows summarized project expenditures by month for any specified range of months. Shows summarized project expenditures by month for the federal fiscal year (twelve months October through September).
- m-Fin Project Financial Status - Shows an Available Balance Summary, an optional Assets and Liabilities Summary, highly summarized Expenditures summary, an optional cumulative expenditures chart, and an optional salaries, wages, and benefits section, for a specific Project (with consolidated subclasses).
- m-Fin Project Fiscal Years - Shows spending (Direct vs. F&A) by fiscal year for one or more projects.
- m-Fin Project LifeChart - Shows cumulative spending over time vs. budget for a given project.
- m-Fin Project One-Liner - Shows the financial basics for many projects at once, in a one-line-per project presentation. Shows cash balances for many projects at once. For this, select the CASH option in the EXTRAS prompt.
- m-Fin Project Spending Trends - Shows an analysis of a project at the Project level, rather than the SpeedType level (for projects that have subclass). Shows projects that have patterns of accelerated spending that look like they might go over budget. The analysis is of the last seven months.
- m-Fin Receivables Activity - Shows detailed receivables activity for a project, for any source code that is not from the revenue recognition process. Shows unusual receivables activity for a project.
- m-Fin Receivables Transaction Finder - Shows a search for a payment, by dollar amount, or project ID, from a project sponsor that was booked to the wrong FOPPS.
- m-Fin Retired Projects Not Zero - Shows a search for retired projects where balance sheet accounts have a debit or credit balance.
- m-Fin ROL
- m-Fin Sponsor Funding - Shows all budget transactions for all projects under a specified Org.
- m-Fin OLT
- m-Fin Project SpeedType One-Liner - Shows the financial basics for multiple projects, in a one-line-per-SpeedType presentation.
- m-Fin Compensation Summary - Shows total pays by position, broken out between salary, benefits, and other. Shows an applicable benefits rate by position.
- m-Fin Payroll Transactions - Shows the detailed accounting for pay and benefits for an employee over a range of accounting periods. (The final page displays the Compensation Summary).
- m-Fin Position Budget - Shows to compare the position budgets to payments (actuals). Shows the monthly payments (actuals) to each position over time.
- m-FIN Position Budget II – Shows to compare the position budgets transactions to the actuals (payment) transactions side-by-side. Shows speedtype allocations for a position. Shows the monthly payments (actuals) to each position over time.
- m-Fin Position Budget - Actuals Detail
- m-Fin Payroll Accounting Period - Shows summarized payroll information for a specific accounting period, by SpeedType, sorted by employee.
- m-Fin Payroll Fiscal Year - Shows summarized payroll information for a fiscal year, displayed by month, for a specific SpeedType, sorted by employee.
- m-Fin Payroll Fiscal Year Detail - Shows detailed payroll information, for a fiscal year, displayed by month, for a specific SpeedType, sorted by employee.
- m-Fin Personnel Roster and Departmental Budget - Shows position budgets by Fund, Org, and Speedtype including continuing and temp budget amounts and budgeted FTEs. Includes Job Codes and Descriptions.
- m-Fin PET - Shows details of a Payroll Expense Transfer (PET). Search PETs by fiscal year, PET Operator, and PET Date.
CU-Data Query Studio