Serving alcohol at events may be allowed with proper approvals. Well-planned and managed events can decrease the risk of alcohol-related incidents.

Alcohol-related Policies

Administrative Policy Statements and Procurement Service Center Procedural Statements provide parameters and procedures for purchase of alcoholic beverages for university events. 

Administrative Policy Statements found on the Office of Policy & Efficiency website.

Procedural Statements can be found on the Procurement Service Center web site.

Campus Alcohol Policies

Licensed Premise Venues

Alcohol events must be held at a licensed premise or meet the Private Event or Special Event Permit requirements pursuant to CRS §12-48-101 et seq.

A Licensed Premise is a specific location where the sale and service of alcohol for consumption on the location has been authorized under Colorado law. Campus licensed locations may change. Confirm with your campus the current licensed locations.

Boulder Campus

  • The Club Level and Flatirons Club in Folsom Field (License held by Levy)
  • The Mary Rippon Theatre and portions of the University Theatre and Hellums Hall (Arts License - Beer and Wine)
  • The University Memorial Center (Restaurant and Hotel License)
  • Macky Auditorium (Arts License - Beer and Wine)
  • Coors Event Center (License held by Levy)

Colorado Springs Campus

  • University Center, including Berger Hall
  • University Center, Upper Plaza (exterior location)
  • Gallogly Event Center
  • Dwire Hall, 1st and 2nd Floors only
  • Ent Center for the Arts

Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus

  • Tivoli on the Auraria Campus
  • Qdoba in the Student Commons Building on the Auraria Campus

Private Events

An event where alcohol is served that is not open to the general public. In order to be a private event, the event must satisfy all of the following

  • It must be by invitation only. Invitations to the event must have been sent to specific individuals. This does not include an event where attendees register in response to an announcement of the Event.
  • A previously printed list of invited guests must be used to identify attendees at the entrance to assure that only invited participants enter.
  • The event cannot have been advertised as being open to the public.
  • The alcohol is free or the event is a University sponsored Event and the admission charge or other charge for participation is the same regardless of whether the person attending consumes alcohol or not.

Special Event Permit (SEP)

A permit issued by the Colorado Department of Revenue, Liquor Enforcement Division that authorizes the sale and service of alcohol at a specific location for a specific date and time. If an event is open to the public (as opposed to invitation only) where alcohol is served or sold, the event must be held at a location/establishment holding a current valid liquor license, or the event sponsor must have applied for and received a SEP issued by the State of Colorado for that location and event.  Refer to your campus policy for application process information.