Outside or Third Party Request for a Certificate of Insurance
Certificates may be requested for the following activities:
- a university event or activity at an off-campus location
- a university contract with a third party
To request the certificate, send the following information to the appropriate campus risk management email address:
- description of contract/event (please attach contract/agreement)
- location of event, if applicable
- beginning and end dates
- name and address of certificate holder (non-CU requestor)
- email address of certificate holder
- phone number of certificate holder
- CU contact name, phone number, email and fax number
- insurance limits requested - if not specified, standard insurance limits will be shown on the certificate
CU is unable to add an additional insured endorsement. When requested, a form letter stating such will be sent with the certificate.
To request a certificate of insurance please contact your campus risk management:
- Boulder campus – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colorado Springs campus – email@example.com
- Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus – firstname.lastname@example.org
- System Administration – email@example.com
*Expected turnaround time is within two business days of request.
Certificates for Fine Arts or Special Collections on Loan
If the certificate is for fine arts/special collections on loan please provide the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- campus department and contact name
- third-party certificate requestor: name, full address, contact name, fax and email address
- schedule of art or collection to be covered
- fine arts: artist title, year made, medium and value
- special collections: Item name, age or year made, medium/specimen type, and value
- dates coverage is to be in place (include transit dates) and location(s)
- loan agreement
NOTE: This type of certificate may name the third party as additional insured. Certificates are generated by Huntington T. Block and could take 72 hours to process.
University of Colorado Request for a Certificate of Insurance from a Third Party
When requesting a certificate of insurance, CU’s Administrative Policy Statement outlines basic insurance requirements for third parties requesting the use of CU facilities.
Administrative Policy Statement 7001 - Facilities Use by Non-University Groups Insurance Requirements
A sample Certificate of Liability Insurance can be used to help guide third parties to properly provide proof of insurance. Questions regarding insurance requirements for use of facilities on a specific campus should be addressed to the campus URM office. The university reserves the right to negotiate alternative coverage and limits based on the event or contract. For contracts, agreements, or leases with special risks (such as hazardous materials, construction and requests for proposals), please contact the campus URM office.
Construction Insurance Requirements for State Contractors for Construction and Design
The State of Colorado’s State Buildings Program contracts include insurance requirements for construction-related contractors. However, because of some unique buildings and projects, the University of Colorado desires to, and has been granted permission to, insert its own insurance requirements into the contracts. The Office of University Risk Management has developed these requirements for each campus’ use under the direction and guidance of their respective construction office Directors. The following insurance requirements replace the insurance sections in the State Contracts.
Construction Contracts – Applies to S.C. #6.21; 6.23; 6.4; 8.0; 9.0
- Sample Certificate of Insurance for S.C. #6.21; 6.23; 6.4; 8.0
- Sample Certificate of Insurance for Builder’s Risk
Architect/Engineering and Consultants – Applies to S.C. #5.1; 5.2; 5.3
Please contact your respective campus University Risk Management office for further assistance.