Tax - Fundraising Events & Gift Compliance Specialist
Reporting to the Director of Tax, Karen ensures Org. Units comply with University policies & procedures in conducting fundraising events. She works closely with the CU Foundation, Central Advancement Accounting, and campus Accounting/Finance Offices in oversight & ensuring compliance of the gift deposit business process. She is responsible for ensuring that Org Units follow the applicable business process for both events with revenues to the CUF, and for events with revenues to the University through documentation and training resources. In addition she assists in compliance of IRS, State of Colorado, and local taxing jurisdictions regulations that pertain to University events. She also works on procedural guidance, training, and web content for University sponsored fundraising events and PSC tax exempt status information.
Questions Karen Can Answer
- What is the difference between a donor cultivation (official function) event and a fundraising event?
- Can we use our tax exempt status for the catering purchase at our fundraising event?
- In conducting a silent auction, do we charge sales tax on all goods and services?
What Karen Cannot Answer, but Will Point You in the Right Direction
- What is the process for setting up a credit card account for my fundraising event?
- Can you approve the campus location for my fundraising event that will be serving alcohol?
- Can you set up my fundraising event using the Cvent event registration tool?
- A CU Alumna of two campuses: UCD, MPA, Policy Analysis & Evaluation, and UCB, BA, Geography, Economics minor
- Has been with the University since April 2007.
- Previously worked as the Executive Director of the Mtn. & Plains Intergovernmental Audit Forum, and as an Evaluator with the US Government Accountability Office.
- Also worked with numerous non-profit organizations doing volunteer fundraising (there's a theme here).