Justification for Appointment with Tenure (Outside Hire with Tenure)
This policy specifies the process for recommending tenure for a new hire.
This administrative policy statement specifies the process for recommending tenure for new hires.
The purpose of this administrative policy statement is to specify materials required when the Board of Regents is asked to consider granting tenure to a new faculty hire (often referred to as an outside hire with tenure). This administrative policy statement implements the criteria and standards as outlined in Article 5 of Regent Law and the APS 1022 - Standards, Processes and Procedures for Comprehensive Review, Tenure, Post-Tenure Review and Promotion.
II. Policy Statement
- A case is considered an outside hire with tenure if the letter of offer indicates that the tenure review process will be initiated upon hire or the hire is contingent upon tenure being granted.
- All requests for approval of tenure for new hires must include:
- The candidate summary, indicating the recommended action and the candidate’s education and experience.
- A letter from the Vice Chancellor’s Advisory Committee and/or Dean summarizing the candidate’s qualifications for tenure.
- A Personnel Recommendation Form. A complete record of the faculty vote for tenure (at each level). This requirement was established in 2005 at the request of the Board of Regents. This form requires a signature from the provost or vice chancellor for academic affairs and a signature from the chancellor assuring the Board of Regents that the candidate has gone through the proper tenure review process.
- If, at the time the letter of offer was issued, the individual held a tenured position at another institution, the letter(s) of recommendation for hire may be used in the tenure evaluation process in place of the external evaluation letters typically required. If necessary, additional letters may be requested in the tenure evaluation process.
- Adopted: January 1, 2006.
- Amended February 23, 2009: Non-substantive changes made to replace references to Appendix A of Laws of the Regents with the Administrative Policy Statement on Standards, Processes and Procedures for Appointment, Reappointment, Tenure and Promotion. Appendix A was rescinded and replaced by the APS on Standards, Processes and Procedures for Appointment, Reappointment, Tenure and Promotion (July 1, 2007).
- Revised: January 17, 2013; September 1, 2018.