Minimum Academic Preparation Standards (MAPS) for Undergraduate Admission
Provides minimum requirements for undergraduate admission to the university.
Provides minimum requirements for undergraduate admission to the University of Colorado.
This policy provides the minimum standards for undergraduate admission to the University of Colorado. These minimum academic preparation standards (MAPS) were adopted by the Board of Regents on January 19, 1984, amended on January 24, 2008, and moved to an administrative policy statement (APS8013-Minimum Academic Preparation Standards (MAPS) for Undergraduate Admission) effective September 14, 2018.
II. Policy Statement
- All students graduating from high school in 2010 or later and applying to undergraduate programs of the University of Colorado must meet the following universitywide minimum academic preparation standards:
- 4 years of English (with emphasis on composition);
- 4 years of mathematics, of which three must be at the college preparatory level, and only one of which may be business or consumer mathematics;
- 3 years of natural science (including one year of laboratory science);
- 2 years of social science (including one year of United States or world history); and
- 2 years of a single foreign language.
- Individual schools and colleges may develop and impose admission standards that exceed the above minimum academic preparation standards.
- Students graduating from high school in 2010 or later who do not meet the full academic preparation standards may be admitted to the University of Colorado under special circumstances, provided that they meet other admission standards (e.g., test scores, rank in high school class, experience) and provided that they make up any deficiencies in the minimum academic preparation standards prior to graduation from the University of Colorado.
- The University of Colorado will publicize its minimum academic preparation standards throughout the state of Colorado and in other appropriate geographic locations to assure that all prospective students are informed.
- Adopted: September 14, 2018 (replaces the old Regent Policy 7.A: Minimum Academic Preparation Standards for Undergraduate Admission (MAPS) which was rescinded on September 14, 2018).
- Revised: N/A
- Last reviewed: September 14, 2018.