Transfer of a Tenured Appointment
This policy provides procedures for the transfer of a tenured appointment across academic units.
To provide procedures for the transfer of a tenured appointment across academic units.
I. Policy Statement
- When a faculty member is granted tenure by the Board of Regents, tenure is awarded in the university. Although a faculty member is rostered in an academic unit, tenure does not reside with that unit or with the campus.
- The appointment of a tenured faculty member may be transferred to a new academic unit within the same campus or another University of Colorado campus.
- Transfer of the appointment of a tenured faculty member is subject to the review and recommendation of the faculty of the receiving unit and approval by the appropriate administrative officer. The Board of Regents does not reconsider tenure for the transfer of an appointment.
- If a faculty member is transferring to another academic unit due to program discontinuance, the provisions of APS 1015 - Implementing Program Discontinuance shall apply.
- When a tenured faculty member requests a transfer from one academic unit to another, the following processes shall be followed:
- The head of the receiving unit (chair or dean) shall identify a source of funds to support the appointment and obtain approval to allocate funds for this purpose.
- Faculty of the receiving unit shall review the candidate for appointment. Review procedures are determined by the unit faculty and may include criteria and procedures that adhere to APS 1022 - Standards, Processes and Procedures for Comprehensive Review, Tenure, Post-Tenure Review and Promotion.
- The tenured faculty of the receiving unit shall conduct a vote on whether to recommend or not recommend the appointment with tenure. Voting procedures are determined by the unit. If the faculty do not recommend appointment with tenure, the case shall not move forward. If the faculty issue a positive recommendation, the case will move forward for final approval according to the procedures stated in Section II.B.
- Approval Procedures
- If the transfer is between units on the same campus and within the same school or college, the dean shall make the final decision to appoint.
- If the transfer is between units on the same campus but different schools or colleges, the dean of the receiving unit, after consulting with the dean of the sending unit, shall issue a recommendation to the provost. The provost shall make the final decision to appoint.
- If the transfer is between units on different CU campuses, the provost of the receiving campus, after consulting with the dean of the receiving unit, shall issue a recommendation to the chancellor of the receiving campus. The chancellor shall make the final decision to appoint.
III. Related Policies, Procedures, Forms, Guidelines and Other Resources
- Adopted: July 1, 2019.
- Revised: N/A
- Last Reviewed: July 1, 2019.