Briefs Spring 2017
CU Advocacy Day
More than 200 guests attended CU Advocacy Day at the Capitol. CU Advocates, alumni, donors, legislators, regents and friends were present at the January 31 event. The program included remarks from Lt. Governor Donna Lynne, CU President Bruce Benson, CU Denver Chancellor Dorothy Horrell, Vice President of Government Relations Tanya Kelly-Bowry, and Vice President of Budget and Finance Todd Saliman. Following the event at the Capitol, legislators and advocates were invited to Benson Mineral Group for a reception. The events were attended by 33 legislators. Legislators in attendance included Senators Jack Tate (R-Centennial), Vicki Marble (R-Fort Collins), Matt Jones (D-Louisville), Randy Baumgardner (R-Cowdry), Stephen Fenberg (D-Boulder), Bob Gardner (R-Colorado Springs), Owen Hill (R-Colorado Springs), Andy Kerr (D-Lakewood), Michael Merrifield (D-Colorado Springs), Tim Neville (R-Littleton), Kevin Priola (R-Henderson), Nancy Todd (D-Aurora), Irene Aguilar (D-Denver), Cheri Jahn (D-Wheat Ridge), Representatives Terri Carver (R-Colorado Springs), Yeulin Willett (R-Grand Junction), Chris Hansen (D-Denver), Paul Rosenthal (D-Denver), Jonathan Singer (D-Boulder), Jeff Bridges (D-Greenwood Village), Leslie Herod (D-Denver), Paul Lundeen (R-Monument), Larry Liston (R-Colorado Springs), Barbara McLachlan (D-Durango), Jovan Melton (D-Aurora), Patrick Neville (R-Franktown), Dan Pabon (D-Denver), Bob Rankin (R-Carbondale), Lang Sias (R-Arvada), Dan Thurlow (R-Grand Junction), Donald Valdez (D-La Jara), Dave Williams (R-Colorado Springs), and Jim Wilson (R-Salida).
Federal Legislation Letters of Support
The federal team has worked with the Colorado congressional delegation in an effort to support legislation that would enable the University of Colorado to best serve their many interests. Many higher education institutes have joined with CU to encourage representatives and senators to sign letters encouraging full and increased funding. So far this year, the following letters have been signed by our delegation:
- National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) – Representatives Mike Coffman, Diana DeGette, and Jared Polis
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) – Senators Michael Bennet and Cory Gardner, Representatives Mike Coffman, Diana DeGette, Ed Perlmutter, and Jared Polis
- National Science Foundation (NSF) – Senator Michael Bennet, Representatives Diana DeGette, Ed Perlmutter, and Jared Polis
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) – Senator Michael Bennet, Representatives Mike Coffman, Diana DeGette, Ed Perlmutter, and Jared Polis
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) – Representative Mike Coffman
- National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) and National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) – Senator Michael Bennet
- Teacher Quality Partnership program at the Department of Education – Senator Michael Bennet, Representatives Diana DeGette and Ed Perlmutter
- Title VI (International Education Programs) - Representatives Jared Polis and Diana DeGette
- National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program - Senator Cory Gardner
- Department of Energy (DOE) Science & Technology Programs - Senator Cory Gardner, Senator Michael Bennet
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration's (NASA) Office of Education - Senator Michael Bennet
The federal team will continue to work with the Colorado congressional delegation on important matters such as these.
NASA Associate Administrator Visits CU Boulder
Dr. Thomas Zurbuchen, Associate Administrator for the Science Mission Directorate (SMD), part of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), made a visit to CU Boulder. During his February trip, Zurbuchen attended a VIP breakfast and toured the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP), conversed with students from the Colorado Space Grant Consortium, and participated in a Q&A with College of Engineering and Applied Sciences students and faculty on SMD priorities.
CU Boulder Chancellor DiStefano Hosts Visiting Scholar Francis Beckwith
University of Colorado Boulder Chancellor Phil DiStefano hosted two Conservative Thought and Policy Program events in Colorado Springs and Parker with 2016-2017 Visiting Scholar Francis Beckwith. Professor Beckwith discussed why Americans from all political backgrounds should support traditional ideals of freedom of speech, religion, and association. Several state officials attended the February events including Senators Kevin Priola (R-Henderson) and Jack Tate (R-Centennial). CU Regent Kyle Hybl and staff from the offices of Senator Michael Bennet and Congressman Mike Coffman were also in attendance.
Office of Government Relations
CU Boulder Aerospace Summit
Almost a dozen legislators attended CU Boulder’s Aerospace Summit. The program highlighted CU Boulder’s renowned space science programs and central role in the CO aerospace industry. Lt. Governor Donna Lynne joined CU Boulder Chancellor Phil DiStefano, multiple faculty from CU Boulder's aerospace programs and several other key stakeholders from the state.
CU Boulder Hill Visits
There have been several recent Hill visits by CU Boulder faculty:
- Greg Atkins, Director of the Bursar's Office, and Lora Smith-Merriweather, Manager of Student Loans and Debt Management, met with members of the Colorado congressional delegation in DC including Congressman Jared Polis to discuss the importance of federal Perkins loans to CU Boulder students. The current extension of the Perkins Loan program will expire on Sept. 30, 2017. Colleagues from the Coalition of Higher Education Assistance Organizations (COHEAO) and Heather Bené from CU's federal team also participated in the meetings, which took place January 31.
- Stew Elliott and JaNae Ketterling from the Office of Veteran Services (OVS) met with staff with the offices of Senators Michael Bennet and Cory Gardner as well as Congressman Jared Polis to discuss veterans' education programs and current OVS projects. Elliott and Ketterling also met with the House and Senate Veterans Affairs Committees and attended the National Association of Veterans' Program Administrators (NAVPA) meeting.
- Brian Sanders from the Colorado Space Grant Consortium met with a number of Colorado's congressional offices to discuss federal support for Space Grant in FY 2018. The visits were part of this year's national Space Grant Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill.
- Waleed Abdalati and Kristen Averyt from the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) met with staff for Senators Michael Bennet and Cory Gardner and Congressmen Jared Polis and Ed Perlmutter to discuss a number of CIRES' priorities, including support for earth sciences in the FY 2018 budget.
- Kathryn Penzkover from CU Science Discovery as well as participants from the K-12 Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) outreach program - met with their hometown legislators, including Congressman Jared Polis and Ed Perlmutter. Senator Cory Gardner's office also hosted the students for a tour of the Capitol. During the trip, the students also attended the Emerging Researchers National Conference in STEM, a national conference for young researchers sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Valerio Ferme, Associate Dean for the Arts and Humanities, represented CU Boulder along with several national associations to attend National Humanities Alliance (NHA) advocacy day. The group urged continued funding for the humanities, as well as Title VI International Education programs and Fulbright-Hays. President Trump's FY18 Budget Blueprint targets both the National Endowment for the Humanities (NEH) and Title VI for elimination.
- Juliane Shindo and Rebecca Downey from International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) joined NAFSA: Association of International Educators for meetings to discuss the association's current international education priorities. Members met with Colorado lawmakers including Senators Michael Bennet and Cory Gardner, and Congressmen Jared Polis, Diana DeGette and Doug Lamborn.
Congressman Polis Visits CU Boulder
Congressman Jared Polis visited CU Boulder on several occasions. Polis participated in a town hall in the University Memorial Center; in a meeting with students facilitated by the Office of Student Affairs; and discussions with CU Boulder faculty, administrators and stakeholders on federal research funding, as well as higher education policy.
Congressman Polis also participated in a roundtable discussion focusing on the importance of maintaining a strong investment in federally-sponsored research hosted by Dr. Daniel Baker with the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP). Following the discussion, the Congressman toured LASP to get an update on current research taking place at the facility
Office of Government Relations
Congressman Coffman Holds Town Hall at CU Anschutz Medical Campus
Congressman Mike Coffman held a town hall on campus to hear from constituents of the sixth Congressional District about a variety of issues of concern to them, including healthcare.
CU Anschutz Medical Campus Hill Visits
Several faculty members met with the Colorado congressional delegation recently:
- CU Anschutz Medical Campus Chancellor Don Elliman, Dr. John Reilly, Dean, CU School of Medicine, and Vice President for Health Affairs Lilly Marks met with Senators Cory Gardner and Michael Bennet as well as Representatives Diana DeGette and Mike Coffman to discuss the Affordable Care Act Repeal.
- Dr. Lee Newman, Director at Center for Health, Work and Environment at the University of Colorado School of Medicine and Dr. John Rosecrance from CSU’s High Plains Intermountain Center for Agricultural Health and Safety met with staff from the offices of Senators Michael Bennet and Cory Gardner and the offices of Representatives Michael Coffman, Diana DeGette, Doug Lamborn, Scott Tipton, Jared Polis, Ed Perlmutter, and Ken Buck. The purpose of the meetings was to discuss their respective Center’s work in occupational health and safety programs funded by the CDC’s National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) and the agency’s FY 17 and 18 budgets.
Congressman Coffman Visits the Gates Biomanufacturing Facility
Congressman Mike Coffman visited the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus Gates Biomanufacturing Facility to discuss the promise of regenerative medicine therapies.
Office of Congressman Mike Coffman
CU Denver Office of International Affairs Visits Capitol Hill
John Sunnygard, Executive Director of the Office of International Affairs at the University of Colorado Denver; Alana Jones, Deputy Director of the Office of International Affairs; and Patti Juza, Director of CU Boulder’s ESL program met with staff from the offices of Senators Cory Gardner and Michael Bennet as well as the offices of Representatives Ed Perlmutter, Jared Polis, Mike Coffman, and Congresswoman DeGette. The meetings were held to discuss immigration policies and international students.
CU Denver’s Dr. Hagerman Testifies at Capitol
University of Colorado Denver Executive Director of Continuing & Professional Education, Dr. Shannon Hagerman testified in favor of HB17-1332 Teachers Nonpublic Child Care & Preschool Facility on April 19.
Office of Government Relations