For purposes of the 2019 program, an eligible Early-Career Investigator (ECI) is defined as:
- An investigator who is within four years of appointment to his/her career-track academic position (i.e., whose career-track appointments began no earlier than January 1, 2014). In general these are faculty appointments with significant expectations regarding research, and/or teaching, and/or clinical activities and may be tenure-track or non-tenure track. For purposes of determining eligibility, post-doctoral appointments, residencies and courtesy instructor titles are not considered career-track academic appointments. However, you must identify any of these exceptions in your biosketch, and fully and clearly state the nature of the appointment;
- An investigator who has not previously received a major independent research award. A major independent research award is determined to be a National Institutes of Health [NIH] R01 or similar grant which provides independent research support of at least $125,000 (either single-year or multiple-year award), and which was awarded through a rigorous peer review process conducted by a public or private institution. Multiple independent awards that are each less than $125,000, but that total more than $125,000 will not impact eligibility;
- An investigator who received a terminal degree or completed his/her medical residency within the ten years preceding the application (i.e., on or after January 1, 2008); and
- An investigator who is either a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident.
Eligible faculty researchers from all four CU campuses are encouraged to apply.
For eligibility questions, contact
- University of Colorado Boulder
- University of Colorado Colorado Springs
- University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus
CAMPUS-SPECIFIC DEADLINES:Applications must be submitted to your campus Grants office by the campus-specific deadlines included in the campus-specific instructions:
Campus Grant Offices must submit final completed applications to the President’s Office by March 1, 2019.