DIO's goal is to create a welcoming and inclusive environment.
We would like to enhance opportunities and increase awareness of our diverse communities and culture & outreach programs. Engagement events give University employees opportunities to interact with and support the local community through fundraising, donations, and volunteer activities.
Diversity workshops & events below
|Stanford Women's Leadership Lab||Mental Health & Wellbeing Inclusion May 20th, 12-1pm MT||CU System Theodosia Cook - featured speaker|
|CU Denver: drop-in chat sessions||Wednesdays 11am-1pm (zoom)||From Center from Identity & Inclusion|
|CU Engage and the Office for Outreach & Engagement||Coffee social 3rd Thursday in April, 12-1pm||Learn how CU can support faculty, staff, & students' work|
|CU Boulder: DEI Network Happy Hour||4th Thursday every month 4-5pm (zoom)|
|CU Boulder: Center for Teaching and Learning||Upcoming events|
|CU Boulder: Office of Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement||News & Events|
|CU Boulder Department of Ethnic Studies||Drs. Shawn O’Neal and Jennifer Ho’s Anti-racism 101||CU on Coursera - 3-week program/11 hours|
|CU Denver’s Department of Communication||Dr. Brenda J. Allen’s Inclusive Leadership: The Power of Workplace Diversity||CU on Coursera - 4 weeks/21 hours|
|Read the IDEA Plan||Inclusion, Diversity, and Excellend in Academics|
|Watch the importance of “why” this effort:||How diversity makes teams more innovative||TED talk|
- Read & sign CU's Inclusivity pledge
- Why pronouns matter & how to be an ally
- LGBTQ resources at CU Employee Services
- 2021 Colorado Equal Pay Act - CU Campuses prepare for Compliance. CU System HR Equal Pay Summary slides here.
Outreach - Explore how CU serves Colorado
- CU Pride in June. Sign up for CU 5k on June 26th. POC: Joanne.Addison@ucdenver.edu and email@example.com
- Bike to Work Day 2021 moved from June to September 22 (Wednesday)
To help address food insecurities in communities across the metro area, the YMCA Beyond Hunger program provides bags a variety of fresh fruits, vegetables, proteins, dairy, and grains to help people in need. Check locations and times. Sign up to reserve and pick-up. It is first come, first serve. Pick up is curb side / drive through.
Spring Clean ideas for those items you love and don’t use. Consider donating them. A second life is better than a trash fill.
- The Doe Fund: Business Attire & your personal technology.
- Ronald McDonald house: Office supplies, Kitchen items, Laundry room items (dryer sheets, detergent), Individually wrapped snacks, Gift cards you no longer want/need/use
- Denver Rescue Mission: Small furniture (not damaged), Clothing, Household items, Kitchen appliances & dishware, Non-perishable food
- Clothes to Kids Denver donate new or gently used clothes.
Please consider making a difference locally and help a local organization like the non-profits below:
- Colorado Combined Campaign runs annually from Oct - Feb. Resource Guide. Go to iPledge and give monthly or a lump sum.
- Florence Crittenton empowers teen mothers. This was part of our 2020-2021 Winter Holiday Drive. Learn how you can connect, volunteer or give.
- Dumb Friends League (animal shelter): give a tribute, supplies (ex: old towels, shoeboxes, water bottle caps and cardboard egg cartons...), even money or a vehicle.
- Find a great non-profit that motivates you.
CU Resources: Training & Learning
1. CU at the Top: Diversity and Inclusion (you can browse or formally begin by completing an agreement form with your supervisor)
- Understand and implement strategies for inclusion.
- Uncover components of your own biases and perceptions.
- Gain insight into other identities and experiences that are different from your own.
2. CU Denver: Center for Identity & Inclusion. Services, Virtual drop-in chat sessions, programs, resources, & events.
3. CU Boulder
- Learn about Inclusivity from their Center for Teaching and Learning
- Self-Paced Anti-Racism Course on Canvas
- Anti-Racism on Coursera
- Anti-Racism Resources (read, watch, listen, act, teach, & reflect) from their University Libraries
- Learn about Campus Actions to Enable Change, addressing systematic racism at the Office of Diversity, Equity & Community Engagement (ODECE)
- More ongoing Teaching-Learning events
- For more upcoming events, subscribe to the Diversity Newsletter, Office of Diversity, Equity, and Community Engagement (ODECE)
Some past community opportunities the committee has featured:
- 2021: Teamed up with SSC Brown Bag & speaker Dr. Regina Reynolds, Chancellor, DEICE, CU Anschutz to present "Strategies to Create an Inclusive Environment".
- 2021: Virtual Furry Scurry, May 1st
- 2021: (Virtual) CU Social Justice Summit - Revolutionizing Systems for Equity
- 2021: Youth Celebrate Diversity @ Cherry Creek High School West Bldg gyms. Free to students & parents. Open to the public.
- 2020: The Inclusive Communities of Practice (ICoP) | Hosts community meetings Wednesday from 12:00pm - 1:15pm MT during the fall 2020 semester
- 2020: Fall Diversity Summit at CU Boulder (Nov 10) | https://www.colorado.edu/odece/2020-fall-diversity-inclusion-summit
- 2020: Stanford University VMware Women's Leadership Innovation Lab | https://womensleadership.stanford.edu/
- 2020: Holiday Drive, partnering with Florence Crittenton | https://flocritco.org/
- Fight for Air stair climb to support the American Lung Association | https://www.lung.org/
- Volunteering at the Furry Scurry fundraiser for the Dumb Friends League | https://www.ddfl.org/
- Relay for Life Denver
- Family, teen and senior holiday gift drive for GIVE Denver, a program of Denver Human Services
- Coat drive in support of Coats for Colorado
- Sleeping Bag drive and fundraising for Sleep Tight Colorado
- Duffle bags for foster kids through Together We Rise
- “Roll Out the Barrels” food drive to support Metro CareRing
- Holiday party and toy drive to honor military families at Buckley Air Force Base in Aurora
- “Clean Out Your Closets” clothing drive to support Dress for Success, Denver Works and ARC Thrift Stores
- School supply and winter coat drive to benefit Gilpin Montessori Public School in Denver
- Charity walk teams, including raising money for and participation in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Light the Night Walk, Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure and JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes
We'd love to hear from you!
Please use the button below to email a comment, question, or suggestion to the Outreach Committee.