This annual award recognizes significant achievements of faculty*, staff, students, and academic or administrative units in developing a culturally and intellectually diverse university community reflective of inclusive excellence.
As many as four awards of $2,000 each are given. A committee with representatives from each CU campus selects recipients based on the criteria below.
Nominations must be received by 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 28, 2019. Nominations will be accepted beginning Aug. 28.
Nominations are sought in four categories:
- Full-time faculty*
- Full-time staff
- Full-time undergraduate or graduate students
- Academic unit** or administrative units
*Full-time CU faculty with the rank of professor, associate professor, assistant professor, senior instructor, or instructor.
**Unit refers to academic or administrative offices; staff, faculty, and student committees; and organizations (e.g., alumni) directly associated with CU.
Candidates for the award should be engaged in meaningful diversity activities beyond their primary responsibilities at the university. Nominations are welcome from any member of the university community.
- Significance - How has the nominee(s) demonstrated superior leadership and commitment to the enhancement, development and sustainability of diversity and inclusive excellence?
- Innovation – How has the nominee’s contribution uniquely addressed key issues of diversity and inclusiveness throughout the CU System and/or the CU community? How is this contribution different from existing activities and projects that address diversity and inclusiveness?
- Impact - What have been the measurable outcomes? Has this project/program/activity been replicated at other institutions? How has this project/program/activity “moved the needle” in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness throughout the CU System and the Colorado community?
- Nomination packets must be submitted online as a single pdf document.
- Nomination packets must include:
- A nomination letter that addresses the selection criteria.
- A minimum of three letters of support. Additional supporting materials are optional.
- For unit nominations, letters of support must be provided by individuals outside the direct unit.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
The following guidelines are provided to assist the nominator in preparing a competitive nomination packet:
- For all nominations:
- Nominators should indicate how he/she knows the nominee and for what length of time. For unit nominations, the nominator should indicate how he/she is familiar with the work of the unit.
- For faculty, staff and unit nominations:
- Nomination materials should provide a brief description of the nominee’s role or position within the university or, for unit nominations, the unit’s primary mission or function within the university.
- Nomination materials should address how the work of the nominee goes above and beyond what is expected as part of the individual’s CU responsibilities or the unit’s primary mission or function.