Have you improved a business process? Share your success and you might win a $1,500 cash award! Learn more about the CU Innovation & Efficiency Awards
Cognos Reporting System Training
Before you can use the Reporting System, you must be granted access to the Cognos m-Fin Reports. After you receive access, you then log in to the reporting system via your campus portal.
Once you are logged in, the following resources may help you navigate the Cognos Reporting System.
Monthly Financial Report Review Reports
- M-Fin SpeedType Summary - Shows the available balance as of the close of business for the previous business day.
- M-Fin Operating Summary - Shows the SpeedType Summary available balance calculation. Also includes the Revenue and Expenditure Summary, and additionally an Asset and Liability Summary if it is relevant to financially managing the FOPPS.
- M-Fin Outstanding Encumbrances - Shows an itemized list for all financial expenses committed but not yet occurred for a given SpeedType.
- M-Fin Financial Detail - It shows an itemized list of all transactions for revenue/expense and balance sheet accounts. Can be used in the reconciliation process.
- M-Fin Abnormal Balance - Shows either a Resource Deficit Report or an Abnormal Account Balance Report, or both. The Resource Deficit Report displays SpeedTypes with either a negative cash balance or positive net assets, and the Abnormal Account Balance Reports shows accounts with abnormal balances (i.e., debit accounts with credit balances or credit accounts with debit balances).
- M-Fin SpeedType One-Liner - Shows the financial basis for multiple speedtypes, in a one-line-per-speedtype presentation. This is similar to m-Fin Project SpeedType One-Liner, however, this report is meant for all funds rather than just project funds.
Revenue and Expenditure Reports
- M-Fin Revenue and Expenditure Summary - Shows the summarized balances for revenue and expense accounts, provides drill-throughs to specific transactions, and also provides page breaks by fund..
- M-Fin Revenue and Expenditure Total - Shows the summarized balances for revenue and expense accounts, provides drillthroughs to specific transactions, and also provides page breaks by fund.
- M-Fin BAE by Month Summary - Shows a summary of the budget, monthly actuals, and encumbrances within a fiscal year. Assets and liabilities are displayed, and revenues are shown if they contribute to the available calculation.
- M-Fin Expenditure Actuals by Month Total - Shows summarized expenditure categories by month within a fiscal year, paged by fund with an all-funds total displayed on the last page.
- M-Fin Revenue and Expenditure Actuals by Month Total - Shows summarized revenue and expenditure categories by month within a fiscal year.
Expenditure Type Reports
- M-Fin Expenditure Type Summary - Shows a summary by expenditure types (salaries and wages, benefits, operating expenses, and travel) for a given SpeedType.
- M-Fin Expenditure Type - Shows summarized expenditure categories within a fiscal year, subtotaled by org and grouped by fund.
- M-Fin Expenditures Cumulative by Month Charts - Shows summarized expenditure categories by month within a fiscal year, by SpeedType, Program, or Project, in the following graphs: Budget Minus Encumbrances and Prorated Budget.
Balance Sheet Reports
- M-Fin Balance Sheet Summary - Shows the summarized balances for balance sheet accounts (assets, liabilities, and net assets). Provides page breaks by SpeedType.
- M-Fin Balance Sheet Total - Shows the summarized balances for balance sheet accounts (assets, liabilities, and net assets). Provides page breaks by fund.
Trial Balance Reports
Account Number Reports
- M-Fin Account Number - Shows a summation of account codes across different FOPPS/SpeedTypes.
- M-Fin Account by Fund - Shows a summation of account codes across different funds for a specific account range.
- M-Fin Account Range by Fund - Shows totals for account ranges by user-specified fund columns.
- M-Fin Account Actuals Period by Fiscal Year: Shows summarized balances in a single account code, or any from-to range of account codes, showing total actuals for each accounting period across all fiscal years since 2000.
- M-Fin Actuals by Fiscal Year: Shows summarized account code information for a given SpeedType, Program or Project, displayed in fiscal year columns.
- M-Fin Budget to Actual - Shows a traditional budget-actual-encumbrances report with one line per SpeedType, and can separate the continuing and temporary budget for each SpeedType.
- M-Fin Accounting Summary Report - Shows the net assets and liabilities at the beginning of the fiscal year, and subsequent revenues and expenditures. Also shows current cash balance.
- M-Fin Audit Trail - Shows a summation of account code balances for SpeedTypes for specified funds.
- M-Fin Fiscal Roles - Shows positions and individuals that have been assigned fiscal roles (e.g. program manager, project principal) for a specific SpeedType, Organization Code, Organization Node, or Position Number. Note: This report does not display budgets, actuals, or encumbrances. Each different fiscal role listing starts on its own page.
- M-Fin Journal Entry Approver Incompatible Access - Shows journal entries having the same approver as creator, run by user.
- M-Fin K Exhibit - Shows a project's net assets as of the beginning of the fiscal year and then subsequent revenues and expenditures, sorting and subtotaling by codes that represent granting agencies.
- M-Fin NACUBO Expense Purpose - Shows the National Association of College and University Business Officers (NACUBO) groups for each program and project.
- M-Fin Accounting Summary by SpeedType: Shows summarized account code information, or total budget information, for multiple SpeedTypes, displayed in columns.
m-Fin Prompt Pages
Entering SpeedTypes/FOPPS Components
- M-Fin Org Tree Lineage - Shows the organizational tree lineage for an organizational code/node.
- M-Fin Org Tree List - Shows the organizational tree lineage for an organizational code/node.
- M-Fin Account Tree List - Shows Account Tree lists at different levels. Speedtype Look-Ups
- M-Fin SpeedType List - Shows an attributes list of active/inactive SpeedType(s).
- M-Fin Fiscal Roles: Shows fiscal roles for a specific employee/position number, or org code(s) (pages by Fiscal Role).
- M-Fin Source Code Look-Up: Shows detailed information for a specific Source Code.
- M-Fin Tree Zoom: Shows a top-down analysis of expenditure actuals, with the ability to drill to descending org and account trees.
m-Fin Project Reports
- M-Fin Award Code: Shows a one page summary of the financial activity associated with an award.
- M-Fin Payments Received - Shows payments received from granting agencies for Clinical Trials.
- M-Fin Payments Received Org Overview - Shows payments received from granting agencies for Clinical Trials, summarized by each project within an organization.
- M-FIN Project Actuals Detail – Shows expenditures on a project that have occurred before or after a particular date of significance to the project.
- M-FIN Project Expenditures by Month – Shows summarized project expenditures by month for any specified range of months, including the for the federal fiscal year.
- M-Fin Project Financial Status: Shows an Available Balance Summary, an optional Assets and Liabilities Summary, highly summarized Expenditures summary, an optional cumulative expenditures chart, and an optional salaries, wages, and benefits section, for a specific Project (with consolidated subclasses).
- M-Fin Project One-Liner: Shows the financial basics for a project(s) in a one-line presentation.
- M-Fin Project Spending Trends: Shows an analysis of a Project at the Project level, rather than the SpeedType level (for projects that have subclasses).
- M-Fin Receivables Activity: Shows detailed receivables for a Project, for any Source Code that is not from the revenue recognition process.
- M-Fin Receivables Transaction Finder: Shows search results for a payment, by dollar amount, or Project ID, from a Project sponsor that was booked to the wrong FOPPS.
- M-Fin Project SpeedType One-Liner: Shows the financial basis for multiple projects, in a one-line-per-speedtype presentation. This is similar to the m-FIN Project One-liner, but, for multi-speedtype projects, each speedtype gets its own line. Multi-speedtype projects are those projects using subclass.
m-Fin Payroll Reports
- M-Fin Compensation Summary - Totals pay by position.
- M-Fin Payroll Transactions - Lists the detail accounting for pay and benefits for an employee over a range of accounting periods you specify. This detail is then summed into a compensation summary on the final page.
- M-Fin Position Budget Report - Shows position budgets compared to payments, and monthly payments to each position over time.
- M-FIN Position Budget II – Shows position budget transactions in comparison to the actuals transactions side-by-side over a period of time.
- M-Fin Payroll Accounting Period: Shows summarized payroll information for a specific accounting period, by SpeedType, sorted by employee.
- M-Fin Payroll Fiscal Year: Shows summarized payroll information for a fiscal year, displayed by month, for a specific employee or SpeedType (sorted by employee).
- M-Fin Payroll Fiscal Year Detail: Shows detailed payroll information, for a fiscal year, displayed by month, for a specific employee or SpeedType (sorted by employee).
m-FIN Cognos Query Studio
Cognos Query Studio