About the OUC
The University Controller, by delegation from the President, has authority over and responsibility for assuring that the fiscal practices of the University comply with regent policies, other external and internal rules and regulations, including University Fiscal Procedures, and generally accepted accounting principles. The Office of University Controller (OUC) supports the University's mission by:
- providing timely, accurate, and relevant financial information to the University community and to all interested stakeholders;
- preparing the University's tax filings and ensuring appropriate safeguards for University tax compliance;
- managing payroll/benefit accounting functions for the University of Colorado System;
- supporting and developing financial accounting information systems;
- promulgating clear, practical guidelines to assist the University community in dispensing fiscal responsibilities through these systems; and,
- providing direct assistance to faculty, staff, and other individuals through a comprehensive, centralized fiscal help desk.
Section Roles and Responsibilities
Through the Accounting Services section:
- Develop and prepare external financial reports and State interfaces for the University.
- Serve as the liaison for the University with external audit agencies by acting as the administrative contact point for the independent auditors' fiscal examinations and preparing or gathering all necessary workpapers.
- Give professional/technical support in the areas of recording, classifying, reconciling, and correcting financial transactions and usage of ChartFields.
- Provide guidance and assistance to ensure compliance of University policies, procedures, forms, and internal controls for conducting fundraising events.
- Provide guidance and training for proper handling of gift monies.
Through the Payroll/Benefit Accounting section:
- Prepare the University of Colorado tax filings and develop and interpret University tax policies and practices.
- Implement and manage appropriate safeguards for University tax compliance and ensure compliance with tax reporting requirements.
- Administer and manage the payroll and benefit accounting functions for the University of Colorado System.
- Provide guidance to the Employee Services international tax specialists.
Through the Financial & Reporting Systems section:
- Maintain the PeopleSoft Finance System (FIN) and ensure it produces appropriate financial information.
- Coordinate with other departments in the implementation of new applications to assure appropriate interface with FIN.
- Develop and maintain the Cognos Reporting System.
- Maintain the University's effort reporting system for 2 CFR 220 (OMB Circular A-21) compliance.
Through the Finance & Procurement Business Services section:
- Develop and communicate clear fiscal and procurement policies, procedures, and forms.
- Develop timely, relevant training materials.
- Maintain high-quality, timely assistance through the Finance & Procurement Help Desk.
- Design and deliver high-quality, relevant courses on fiscal and other topics through the OUC's Continuing Professional Education (CPE) Program.
- Assure financial reporting
- Provide data to the State Reporting System
- Promote establishment and understanding of strong internal controls
- Prepare the University of Colorado tax filings and promote compliance with tax assessment and reporting requirements
- Manage payroll/benefit accounting functions for the University
- Control and maintain the PeopleSoft Finance System (FIN) and its interfaces
- Maintain the effort reporting system
- Develop and train on the use of the Cognos Reporting System
- Develop and train on fiscal/procurement policies, procedures, and forms
- Develop and train on the use of fiscal/procurement systems (FIN, Concur Travel & Expense, CU Marketplace, etc.)
- Provide a critical education and support function through the Finance & Procurement Help Desk
- Promote fulfillment of fiscal responsibilities and professional development through Continuing Professional Education (CPE) courses