Policy 3C Outside Consulting and Service on External Boards
University staff may be asked to provide consulting services to external organizations or to serve on boards of external organizations (collectively referred to as “Outside Services”). This policy sets forth the conditions under which university staff may engage in Outside Services that may affect the university or the university staff employment responsibilities.
1. All Outside Services that occur during an university staff’s normal working hours, for which no vacation leave is taken, are subject to approval by the university staff’s supervising authority. Supervising authorities may authorize such Outside Services as long as such services advance the interest of the university and do not unduly conflict with the employee’s university employment responsibilities.
2. Consistent with state fiscal rules on honoraria, any compensation received for Outside Services occurring during the university staff’s normal working hours must be remitted to the university unless the university staff is on authorized vacation or unpaid leave.
3. University staff’s providing Outside Services for organizations that do business with the university shall disclose their involvement with the external organization to their supervising authority for appropriate conflict of interest considerations under Board and university policy.
4. University staff’s who receive compensation or other remuneration from an external organization for Outside Services shall not make or influence university decisions with respect to any business relations and decisions that involve the external organization.
The following additional conditions are set forth for officers engaged in Outside Services:
1. Outside Services may not unduly conflict with the officer’s university employment responsibilities, regardless of when they occur.
2. Outside Services for which compensation is received is permitted only if:
- the Outside Services are requested because of the individual merit, expertise, and experience of the university officer; and
- the Outside Services are disclosed to and are subject to the approval of the individual with personnel action authority as described in Policy 2-K.
History: Rescinded May 15, 1980; approved June 2, 2004; revised April 17, 2015
The term “officer and exempt professional” was replaced with the term “university staff” effective April 17, 2015.