Retiree Benefits Eligibility


When enrolling your dependents for benefit coverage, you MUST submit documentation of eligibility for each dependent with your Benefits Enrollment/Change Form.

If you do not provide the necessary documentation to verify eligibility for each dependent's coverage, your unverified dependents will not be enrolled in your benefit plans.

Click here for more information about Section 111 of the Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP Extension Act of 2007 (MMSEA) and why the University requires social security numbers for all employees and dependents covered on University benefits including; medical, dental, vision, optional life insurance and voluntary AD&D.

Click the link below to learn if your dependents are eligible for coverage and, if so, find the required documentation you must submit:

University Plans' Definitions & Required Documents

Individuals who are NOT eligible for university benefits include, but are not limited to, the employee's or spouse's/same-gender domestic partner's:

  • parents, grandparents and great-grandparents
  • siblings, nieces and nephews, aunts and uncles, and cousins
  • grandchildren, and great-grandchildren
  • ex-spouses
  • renters, boarders, tenants, and employees
  • any other individuals not listed in the eligible dependents definitions

When two members of a household are employed and/or retired with the University and/or University affiliates:

  • You and your dependents cannot be covered as both an employee/retiree and a dependent for any University medical and/or dental plan.
  • A retiree may be insured as both a retiree and a spouse of an active employee up to a maximum combined optional life insurance benefit of $500,000. 
  • Each parent employee/retiree may enroll in different plans and may enroll different dependent children under his or her coverage.