To reimburse a non-employee or student for travel or non-travel University expenses use the Concur Travel & Expense System to create a Non-Employee Reimbursement report.

Use the Non-Employee Reimbursement report to reconcile airfare expenses and/or Travel Card transactions for expenses booked on behalf of a non-employee.

There are two conditions for submitting non-employee reimbursement requests in Concur:

  • Payee must be a U.S. person at a U.S. address.
  • Reimbursement must not be related to a Scope of Work (SOW) for an independent contractor.

Read the procedures

Before you begin, please note:

To be reimbursed through Concur, the non-employee must be a U.S. person at a U.S. address, and must not be performing work for the University as an independent contractor.

  1. On the Concur homepage hover your mouse over the New button and select Start a Report.
  2. On the Report Header page,
    • Use the Type of Report dropdown to select Non-Employee Expenses.
    • Give the expense report a meaningful name for tracking and reporting purposes. We recommend including the payee’s last name and the destination or purpose.
    • Use the Travel Type dropdown to select the type of travel. If this expense report is not related to travel, select Other (Non-Travel).
    • Use the Business Purpose dropdown to select the reason for the trip.
    • Will this report have funds due to the non-employee?
      If reconciling airfare or Travel Card expenses paid on behalf of the non-employee, leave this dropdown set to No.
      If reimbursing the non-employee for out-of-pocket expenses - like meal per diem or mileage -  use the dropdown to select Yes. 
      A non-employee expense report may contain a combination of these expenses, in which case the dropdown should be set to Yes
    • If the report will have funds due to the non-employee, complete the Payee Name by entering the non-employee’s first and last name using the format first name [space] last name. The name will appear on the check exactly as entered in this field.
    • If you selected Yes to the above question, the Check Delivery Address fields will appear. In the Check Delivery Address, enter the address where the check should be mailed. This might be the non-employee’s home address or it might be your department’s mailing address, if you want the check to be sent to your department.
    • Check the box to confirm the payee is a US citizen. If you need to reimburse a non-US citizen - or a US citizen who is living abroad - you’ll have to use the paper NRI form instead of Concur.
    • In the Routing/Reimbursement SpeedType field, enter the SpeedType that will cover most or all of the expenses on this report. You can change SpeedTypes for individual expenses, later.
    • Use the Submit Report to dropdown to select how the expense report should be routed for approval – either to your supervisor or to someone with a fiscal role on the report’s SpeedType. If you select SpeedType approver, you’ll identify that person just before you submit the report.
    • In the Comment field, provide a general description of the reimbursement. For a trip, be sure to include travel dates.
    • If questions about this report should be addressed to someone other than you, identify that person in the Alternate Contact Employee field. Otherwise, leave this field blank.
  3. Click Create Report (or Save) to save the Report Header.
  4. If you have paid expenses for the non-employee using your Travel Card or if your department booked airfare on behalf of the non-employee, you will need to import and reconcile those expenses.
    • Click the blue Add Expense button.
    • From the Available Expenses tab, check the box next to the expense(s) you would like to add to this non-employee expense report. Use the uppermost checkbox to select all expenses at once. Click Add to Report.
    • The expense(s) are now assigned to the expense report.
    • Select an expense to add, or edit, the information associated with it, then click Save Expense.
    • Repeat for every expense added to your expense report. To add an out-of-pocket expense, click on the blue Add Expense button, to view the available Expense Types, click on the Create New Expense tab.
  5. Now add the non-employee’s reimbursable out-of-pocket expenses to the report. Examples of some common reimbursable expenses are meals, mileage, and lodging:
    • To add Meals - Use the expense types listed under Travel Meals. You’ll see that we have 3 pairs:
      • Denver/Aurora,
      • Boulder/Colorado Springs, and
      • Other City Rate, for anywhere else
    • The 2 Colorado expense types include the maximum dollar amount in the expense type names. When you use the Other City Rate, you’ll need to look up Per Diem amounts for your specific destination.
    • For the first day of the trip, select the First/Last Day Meals expense type for the destination. If the trip lasts more than one day, use the same expense type for the last day of the trip. For any days in between, use the Daily Meals expense type.
    • To add Mileage - Use the Non-Employee Mileage expense type. Fill in the first 3 fields, then use the Mileage Calculator. For non-employees, don’t deduct a commute.
    • To add Lodging - Use the Non-Employee Lodging expense type for room rates and related taxes. If there are non-lodging charges on the hotel folio, subtract them before entering the lodging Amount. For non-employees, you don’t need to itemize lodging rates and tax.
    • If any of the non-lodging charges should be reimbursed, enter them as separate expense types. Remember that room service and other meal charges are covered through the Travel Meals expense types.
    • To add Airfare or any ground transportation fees - Use the Non-Employee Transportation expense type for both air and ground transportation fees.
  6. Add any other appropriate expenses to the report.
  7. Remember to attach an itemized receipt for any expense over $75, and for any Official Function expense regardless of dollar amount. You don’t need receipts for Travel Meal expenses.
  8. The SpeedType you entered on the report header will be charged for each expense. You need to allocate an expense if you want to change it to a different SpeedType.
  9. We recommend that you review the report before submitting: click Print/Share and then CU Detailed Report.
  10. When you’re ready to submit, click Submit Report. If you selected SpeedType approval routing on the report header, you’ll be able to identify the specific approver now.

Note - If you try to submit a report that includes reimbursable expenses, but you selected ‘No’ to the Will this report have funds due to the non-employee? question on the Report Header, you will receive an Exception message on the report. To correct it, click on the report title. This will open the Report Header where you can change the answer to ‘Yes’ (see step 2) and provide the non-employee’s address information.