When an invoice is entered into CU Marketplace, it becomes a voucher. Standing Purchase Order (SPO) vouchers require approval – no matter the amount of the voucher – in order to pay. An email from CU Marketplace will be sent to the Requestor and the appropriate Invoice/Match Exception Approver(s) when an SPO voucher is entered.
Read the procedures
Who can approve SPO vouchers?
Invoice/Match Exception Approvers can approve SPO vouchers. (This role also ensures resolution of invoice match exceptions, as detailed in Resolving Match Exceptions.) An Invoice/Match Exception Approver is an individual with a fiscal role on the SpeedType (except Officer or Fiscal Staff – Report Recipient) who also has been granted CU Marketplace Approver Invoice access by his or her department.
Approving SPO Vouchers by Email
One way to approve SPO vouchers is by email. You will receive an email from email@example.com when an SPO voucher is pending your approval.
Before you can approve by email, you will need to set your email approval code in your CU Marketplace profile. You only need to set your approval code once – refer to Initiating Email Approvals within CU Marketplace to learn how.
Once your approval code is set…
Open the email.
Review the SPO voucher’s details in the email, such as supplier, dollar amount, who initiated the SPO, SPO begin and end dates, and accounting information.
Click the Take Action button within the email.
You will be prompted to select an action – such as approve the voucher – and enter your approval code.
If you are an Invoice/Match Exception Approver for multiple SpeedTypes associated with the voucher, you will receive a separate email for each SpeedType. When taking action via email, each email must be approved for the entire voucher to be approved; repeat steps 1-4 for each email.
Approving SPO Vouchers in CU Marketplace
Another way to approve SPO vouchers is within CU Marketplace.
- Access your pending invoice approvals by using your Action Items list. Click Action Items (flag icon) at the top of your screen and select the appropriate list.
Alternately, you can use the navigation bar on the left side of your screen and go to Accounts Payable > Approvals > Invoices to Approve.
- Use the Current Workflow Step filter to only see those pending SPO Voucher Approval.
- Vouchers pending approval are organized into folders. Each folder is a SpeedType on which you have a fiscal role other than Officer or Fiscal Staff – Report Recipient. If a single voucher uses multiple SpeedTypes, it will appear in each applicable SpeedType folder for which you are an Approver.
You can work within the Folder view, or you can use the Filter View (eye icon) dropdown (upper right corner of your screen) to instead view a list.
- To further narrow the list of vouchers pending approval that is currently visible to you, use the filters on the left side of your screen.
- Click the voucher number and then review the voucher information to determine whether this SPO voucher should pay. (Refer to the Voucher Information for further details.)
- To approve this individual voucher:
Click the voucher number – if not already reviewing the voucher details – and select Approve & Next.
- To approve multiple vouchers simultaneously:
Review each voucher to determine whether it should be paid. Then, from the list of vouchers pending approval, check the box to the left of each SPO voucher that you are approving for payment. Once the appropriate vouchers are selected, use the Available Actions dropdown (located in the lower middle of the page) to select Approve/Complete.
SpeedType Changes for SPO Vouchers
SpeedType changes can be made to SPO vouchers that are pending approval, as long as there is a single SpeedType on the SPO line. Use the SPO Invoice Allocation form to submit the change. Approve the SPO voucher only after the SpeedType is changed.