New Procurement Process for Protective and Cleaning Items
As we plan for the gradual campus re-openings, a primary goal is to protect our faculty, staff, and students.
Many departments are therefore interested in ordering masks, gloves, hand sanitizer, and similar protective or cleaning items. In the current environment, however, a number of supply chain issues affect your individual purchasing ability in this area. Among the challenges: rising demand is quickly outstripping supply, minimum order quantities can be much higher than normal, and fraud is prevalent.
As a solution, we have moved to a consolidated CU purchasing approach for protective and cleaning equipment and supplies. This means:
- Until further notice, do not place individual department orders for personal protective equipment or cleaning supplies.
- Instead, identify the quantity and type of protective/cleaning items that your department needs and communicate this information to the designated campus Point of Contact (POC) – see sidebar.
- Your campus POC will share information with the Procurement Service Center (PSC), who will purchase these items in bulk, and distribute them to campus.
The PSC’s bulk purchasing approach will include:
- Face coverings (cloth masks, single-use, reusable, medical grade)
- Face Shields
- Disposable Gowns
- Dispenser Stands and Refills
- Sanitizer/Wipes for hands and surfaces
- Spray/squeeze Bottles
As CU’s experts in procurement, the PSC team is in constant contact with key suppliers and has already conducted extensive research to identify other supply sources for hard-to-find personal protective equipment and cleaning supplies.
To communicate your protective and cleaning supply requests, and for any additional questions, please reach out to your Campus Point of Contact -- or otherwise follow the procedures established by your campus.