|Policy Title:||Commencement Exercise Responsibilities|
|Effective:||April 9, 2015|
|Approved by:||President Bruce D. Benson|
|Responsible University Officer:||Senior Vice President and Chief of Staff|
|Responsible Office:||Senior Vice President and Chief of Staff|
|Policy Contact:||Senior Vice President and Chief of Staff|
|Supersedes:||Commencement Exercise Responsibilities, January 17, 2013|
|Last Reviewed/Updated:||April 9, 2015|
|Applies to:||All campuses|
Brief Description: The purpose of this revised administrative policy statement is to outline in greater detail responsibilities for the various aspects of commencement exercises.
Laws of the Regents, Article 8.B.1 states “University commencements shall be held on the individual campuses of the university for students completing their degrees at those campuses...” The purpose of this administrative policy statement is to outline in greater detail responsibilities for the various aspects of commencement exercises.
II. Policy Statement
- Responsibilities of the Office of the Board of Regents
- The Office of the Board of Regents will coordinate with the Regent Awards Committee for the determination of recipients as per Regent Policy 9.A.
- Following board approval of the Regent awards, the Office of the Board of Regents will forward detailed information of the awardees to the respective chancellor’s office. The Office of the Board of Regents will provide the University Medal Award and the Distinguished Service Award. The office will work directly with the respective chancellor’s office and registrar for the preparation on the Honorary Degree certificates and signatures.
- Honorary degree diplomas will be ordered by Office of the Board of Regents staff working directly with the campus registrars. See attachment A for example.
- The Chair of the Regents Award Committee is responsible for the initial notification to Regent award recipients. The Chair of the Regents Awards Committee may request assistance from other Regent members of the Awards Committee with notification.
- The Office of the Board of Regents will be responsible for assuring that academic regalia for members of the Board of Regents, medals, and any other objects to be provided by the Office of the Board of Regents are physically present at the appropriate location and in sufficient time for commencement ceremonies.
- The Office of the Board of Regents will work with the President’s office and the UCB Alumni Association to secure the Chain of Office for the President and will be responsible for its transport to each commencement.
- The Office of the Board of Regents will prepare and distribute for inclusion in each commencement program a commencement program message from the Board of Regents along with a picture of the Board of Regents.
- Responsibilities of the Office of the President
- Final approval of commencement schedules will rest with the Office of the President(Laws of the Regents, Article 8.B.1).
- The President will prepare a commencement program message. This does not preclude the preparation of a message by the campus chancellor.
- The President will assist in the hooding ceremonies for all honorary degree candidates.
- The President may delegate the presentation of the Norlin charge to a Regent or other appropriate campus leadership each commencement exercise.
- Responsibilities of the Office of the Chancellor
- General coordination of campus commencement ceremonies will be the responsibility of the campus chancellor and appropriate campus commencement officials.
- Regent Award selectees will be invited to attend commencement of the nominating campus, but can opt to attend any campus commencement. Expenses for the honoree to attend the selected commencement ceremony activities will be funded by the selected campus.
- Securing accommodations for award recipients, ordering of regalia including honorary degree hoods, arranging transportation, planning special events, and issuing invitations for commencement activities will be the responsibility of the campus chancellor and appropriate commencement officials. Each campus will be responsible for necessary publicity, including any public information office coordination when necessary.
- Formal notification to the President of all scheduled commencement events and functions, including details of the commencement ceremonies will be the responsibility of the campus chancellor.
- Each campus will be responsible for the program citation of Regent and campus award recipients. This includes the verbal citation given during the campus commencement exercises.
- The planning for any necessary security measures attendant to commencement events will be the responsibility of each campus chancellor.
- Each campus will prepare for and administer alternate commencement ceremonies which may be necessary due to inclement weather or other unexpected events.
- Degrees and Diplomas - See APS 8003 - Campus Designation on Diplomas and Transcripts (Section II.A-B)
III. Related Policies, Procedures, Forms, Guidelines and Other Resources
- Attachment A – Example of Honorary Degree Diploma
- APS 8003 – Campus Designation on Diplomas and Transcripts
- Initial APS approved on 04/26/76
- APS revised on 05/15/80
- APS revised 01/17/13
- APS revised April 9, 2015
commencement, exercise, decentralize, regent, honorary, degree, award, recipient, diploma, graduation