|Policy Title:||Background Checks|
|Effective:||January 1, 2011|
|Approved by:||President Bruce D. Benson|
|Responsible University Officer:||Senior Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer|
|Responsible Office:||Senior Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer|
|Policy Contact:||Senior Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer 303-860-5617|
|Last Reviewed/Updated:||January 1, 2011|
Brief Description: Provides requirements and guidelines for the administration of background checks.
Reason for Policy: To clarify the roles of the campuses concerning background checks.
This policy provides requirements and guidelines for the administration of background checks.
II. Policy Statement
The campuses and system administration (campuses), in collaboration with appropriate campus faculty and staff governance groups as needed, shall develop and implement their respective policies and procedures for the administration of background checks on applicants for positions that campus policies require to undergo a background check. The president and the chancellors shall be responsible for the implementation and enforcement of such policies and procedures at their respective campuses. Campus policies should also include the definition of security-sensitive positions, which can differ between campuses.
- Background check means the process of conducting a reference check and gathering and reviewing criminal history records, financial history records, and/or motor vehicle records of the final applicant seeking employment with the university.
- Criminal history record means a written record or information furnished by a criminal justice agency or third party vendor in the business of obtaining and providing criminal history records relating to an individual's criminal convictions. A criminal history record does not include an individual's arrest or conviction records that have been sealed by court order.
- Final applicant means a current, former, or prospective employee recommended for hire, transfer or promotion and to whom a contingent offer is being made.
- Financial history record means a written record or information furnished by any court of civil law, credit reporting agency (credit report), or a third party vendor in the business of obtaining and providing credit reports for the purpose of evaluating applicants for employment.
- Reference check means the process of contacting individuals, including current and former employers, companies, educational institutions, that may reasonably be calculated to provide relevant information regarding a final applicant's fitness for university employment.
- Security-sensitive position means a position which includes responsibilities defined as security-sensitive in campus policies and procedures. Such position may require additional levels of background checks for final applicants.
The Office of the Senior Associate Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer shall interpret this policy. Campuses may designate an individual or organizational unit to provide interpretation of their respective policies and procedures.
- Nothing in this policy shall be interpreted to conflict with campus policies relating to investigations of motor vehicle records for employees and/or applicants whose job duties require the use of university vehicles.
- Nothing in this policy shall be interpreted to limit the university's right to conduct background checks on current employees when circumstances warrant.
V. Links to Campus Policies on Background Checks
- Original Administrative Policy Titled: Background Checks for Security-sensitive Positions was effective July 1, 2004. It was rescinded July 1, 2009.