All international employees and certain international students who receive a stipend must attend a meeting with the International Tax Office soon after they arrive at CU. 

The International Tax Office exists to help international employees and students make sense of their U.S. tax obligations. The tax responsibilities for international employees are different from U.S. citizens and your tax responsibilities will depend on your personal history of immigration and U.S. presence.  We'll make sure you're on the right track.

A meeting with the International Tax Office is mandatory for all new international employees and international students who receive a stipend paid through the University of Colorado's payroll system.

To contribute to the safety of the CU community during the COVID-19 pandemic, this meeting will be conducted virtually using teleconferencing software. Although the meetings are conducted remotely, international employees and students must still wait until they have arrived in the U.S. before attending this meeting. Some of the documentation you will discuss will only be issued upon entry into the U.S.

International employees and students do not need to have a Social Security Number (SSN) to attend this meeting.

Appointments with the International Tax Office fill up fast, so it may take several weeks to schedule your meeting. Because of this, international employees and students should schedule their meeting as soon as possible.

  Schedule your appointment

Prepare for your meeting

Before international employees or students attend their initial meeting, they must have a few documents ready. These documents are:

  • Passport
  • I-94
  • Immigration document(s) (1-20, DS-2019, EAD, H1B approval, etc.)
  • History of U.S. presence (entry and exit dates and immigration statuses)
  • Social Security Number (if you have one). It is ideal, but not required, to obtain your Social Security Number (SSN) before meeting with an international tax specialist.

  Submit secure documents

After your meeting

The International Tax Office is available to help beyond this initial meeting.

Whether your immigration status changes, your program dates change, you decide to take steps to establish residency in the U.S, or you just have questions about your pay and taxation, the International Tax Office has the knowledge and resources to help.

International employees and students may contact the International Tax Office with additional questions, concerns or updates by emailing