We're located at 1800 Grant St. in the heart of Denver and in Broomfield, where our teams tackle tasks and programs that support CU's entire workforce. We often operate behind the scenes, but the work we do is vital to CU's success. Find out more about CU's Administrative offices.
A few important items
Parking and transportation
Parking is free for System employees in the underground parking garage that leads directly into the CU System building.
If you prefer not to drive, you’re in luck! Every System employee holding a regular appointment of at least 50% time, can pick up an EcoPass from CU-Boulder’s Center Community building. This also includes CU employees who have retired and returned to work at the System office as a working retiree. This pass entitles you to free transportation on RTD buses and light rail trains.
Find a full list of bus and train schedules on the RTD website.
The 1800 Grant Street office underwent upgrades to modernize workspaces and better accommodate the growing office workforce of more than 450 employees. As part of this effort, you can enjoy several great accommodations:
- A mini gym and four accompanying showers
- A building-wide kitchen/breakroom equipped with a microwave, refrigerator, freezer and dishwasher, and with access to an outdoor patio and event space (Additionally, there are kitchens/kitchenettes on each floor, equipped with microwaves, refrigerators, freezers and dishwashers.)
- Ample conference rooms and meeting space
- A lactation room
For more information about 1800 Grant visit the 1800 Grant Resource Guide.
CU Systems also has offices in Broomfield.
Types of System office employees
While few faculty members work at CU’s System office, it primarily employs two types of staff members:
Classified staff employees
The university is a part of the State of Colorado personnel system. Positions classified within the state personnel system are called classified positions. These positions are subject to state personnel rules governing the hiring process. In order to be considered for a classified position, candidates must be a Colorado resident at the time of application. The selection process may include a series or combination of assessments or interviews.
University staff employees
University staff positions are exempt from the state of Colorado personnel system and are not subject to the residency requirement. The selection processes may include a series of assessments or interviews. University staff positions provide leadership, management, program development/implementation and a variety of support services for the university as a whole.
Area restaurants and attractions
Many System employees love to explore downtown Denver. The best way to do this is by walking, which nicely complements CU's commitment to health and wellness. Here are some great attractions within walking distance:
- 16th Street Mall – Round trip: 30-minute walk
- Brown Palace Hotel – Round trip: 15-minute walk
- Cheesman Park – Round trip: 60-minute walk
- Denver Art Museum – Round trip: 30-minute walk
- D Bar (Dessert Bar, as featured on Travel Channel & Food Network) – Round trip: 4-minute walk
- Denver City Park – Round trip: 60-minute walk
- Denver’s Firefighter Museum – Round trip: 25-minute walk
- Grant Humphrey Mansion – Round trip: 55-minute walk
- Black American West Museum – Round trip: 45-minute walk
- Molly Brown House Museum – Round trip: 30-minute walk
- Old Spaghetti Factory – Round trip: 30-minute walk
- Ritz-Carlton – Round trip: 30-minute walk
- State Capitol – Round trip: 20-minute walk
- Coors Field – Round Trip: 40-minute walk