If you have questions about the recent Anthem data breach, please visit anthemfacts.com for the most up-to-date information. The University of Colorado will continue to work with Anthem to provide you timely information related to the breach and resources to protect your personal information.
Employees who lose coverage in a CU medical plan, dental plan, vision plan and/or the health care flexible spending account may enroll in COBRA continuation of coverage for the plan(s) in which they were enrolled, for the following reasons:
- termination of employment (for reasons other than gross misconduct) – 18 months of coverage
- reduction of work hours – 18 months of coverage
A COBRA packet will be mailed to the employee's home from our third-party administrator, ASI.
Dependent of a Covered Employee
A dependent of a covered employee enrolled in a medical plan, dental plan, vision plan and/or the health care flexible spending account may choose COBRA continuation coverage for the plan(s) in which he/she was enrolled immediately before losing coverage for one of the following reasons:
- termination of covered employee – 18 months of coverage
- reduction of covered employee's work hours – 18 months of coverage
- death of employee – 36 months of coverage
- divorce, legal separation, or termination of relationship – 36 months of coverage
- employee becomes Medicare-eligible (dependent only) – 36 months of coverage
- child loses eligibility – 36 months of coverage
A COBRA packet will be mailed to the Employee's home from our third party administrator, ASI
COBRA Disability Extension
A qualified beneficiary (Employee or Dependent) under COBRA may be eligible for an additional 11 months of coverage (for a total of 29 months) if they;
- were offered COBRA coverage due to the employee's termination of employment or reduction in hours;
are determined to be disabled by Social Security Administration (PERA members without sufficient Social Security must have disability determination from PERA)
- are disabled at any time during the first 60 days of COBRA continuation of coverage AND
- notify the plan administrator (ASI) of the disability determination within 60 days of the date of the determination and before the end of the original 18-month period of COBRA continuation of coverage.