IMPORTANT: The FinPro Help Desk is transitioning to a PSC Service Desk. Learn how the OUC and PSC are reorganizing help desk and training functions. During the transition (Sept 7-Oct 31), hours for phone service are 10:00 a.m.-noon and 1:00-3:00 p.m., Mon-Fri. Voicemail will not be monitored. Email us anytime at FinProHelp@cu.edu.
Whether you are creating formal reports, instructions, or emails: written communication skills are essential for effective delivery of your message.
This course will provide participants with an overview of effective ways to put words together in writing. Exercises and examples focus on select topics in grammar, orthography, and style.
Program Level: Basic
Advanced Preparation: N/A
Instructional Method: Group-Live
Instructor: Normandy Roden
Recommended CPE Credit: 2.0 Hours
Field of Study: Communications and Marketing
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Identify their individual writing process - and how to fine-tune it to improve different genres of writing;
- Analyze the editing phase - and explain why it must occur outside the writing process; and,
- Describe performance errors vs. competence errors - and how to reduce both.
In addition, participants will learn about:
- Common errors in writing;
- Stylistic devices to improve written communication; and,
- Print and online resources to continue the study (and the fun!) after class.
The University of Colorado is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.learningmarket.org.