Nonresident international employees and students can access free tax preparation software
As the new year begins, CU faculty, staff and students will begin receiving critical documents needed to file their annual income tax returns. For certain international employees and students, this means receiving Forms W-2 and/or 1042-S from CU over the next month.
Form W-2 is issued to any employee who receives taxable wages from CU.
Form 1042-S is issued to resident and nonresident alien employees to report tax treaty exempt wages. Nonresident alien scholarship and stipend recipients with taxable or tax treaty exempt income of this type will also receive form 1042-S. Employees and students with more than one type of 1042-S reportable income should expect to receive more than one 1042-S.
Recipients should use these form(s) when preparing their personal income tax return forms.
It’s also important to remember that even if they did not earn U.S. income, nonresident F and J students and scholars are required to file IRS Form 8843.
This year, CU is again partnering with Sprintax Returns to support nonresident alien employees and students in their personal tax filing obligation. The International Tax Office will offer a discount code to access Sprintax Returns online tax preparation tool free of charge.
The discount code will enable nonresident alien employees and students in F or J status to file their 2022 federal tax return and other required forms. Sprintax can also help with state tax filing. However, if you elect to file a state tax return using Sprintax, you’ll need to pay an additional fee.
This software is a user-friendly and reliable resource to help international employees:
- Determine resident or nonresident U.S. tax residency status and filing requirements.
- Prepare necessary tax return documents including forms 1040-NR and 8843 which can then be printed, signed and mailed for filing. (Some users may be able to file electronically, instead.)
- Ensure all applicable tax treaties are applied.
- Find assistance and information with an available FAQ, blog, YouTube channel and email access to Sprintax tax professionals.
To take advantage of this resource, watch for emails from the International Tax Office, that include your discount code, in February and March.
Visit the International Tax website anytime throughout the year to learn more about your filing obligations. We recently created two new video courses to help familiarize you with the U.S. tax system.
Finally, Sprintax will host regular tax webinars throughout the spring where you can learn more about your U.S. tax filing obligations and how Sprintax can help you meet them.
Sprintax Open Webinar dates, times and registration links:
- Tuesday, Feb. 21 at 10 a.m. MT – Register here
- Thursday, March 2 at 2 p.m. MT – Register here
- Wednesday, March 22 at noon MT – Register here
- Wednesday, March 29 at 11 a.m. MT – Register here
- Thursday, April 6 at 1 p.m. MT – Register here
- Wednesday, April 12 at 10 a.m. MT – Register here
- Friday, April 14 at noon MT – Register here