Categorized in: 

New international hires and stipend recipients must meet with an International Tax Specialist

Employee Services' International Tax Office is a valuable touchpoint for international employees throughout their careers at CU - and it all begins with an International Tax appointment for new employees.

The University of Colorado requires all new international employees and stipend recipients (students, staff, faculty members and researchers) to meet with an International Tax Specialist to document their U.S. tax status. During this meeting, a specialist will determine your tax status, explain tax rules that apply to you, identify tax treaty benefits for which you may be eligible, clarify your personal tax filing requirements and help you complete required tax forms including form W-4.

Schedule your appointment

It's best to schedule an appointment as soon as you are hired at CU and, ideally, prior to receipt of your first paycheck. However, appointments fill fast, and it may be four or more weeks before an appointment time is available.

If you are unable to meet with the tax office before you receive your first paycheck, don't worry. Delayed appointment availability will not affect your ability to begin working or negatively affect your pay. (Employee Services will retroactively adjust your pay, when necessary, to ensure it is taxed correctly).  The tax office does request that new employee appointments are completed within the same calendar year as the date of hire to reduce the need for retroactive corrections to yearend tax reporting documents.

To prepare for your appointment, you should:

  • Bring your passport, I-94 and immigration documents (I-20, DS-2019, H1B approval, etc.). A Social Security number is not required for the appointment, but if one has been issued, it should be brought to the appointment.
  • Plan to review your entire history of presence in the United States, including previous visits in different immigration statuses.

You should leave the appointment with an understanding of your U.S. tax residency status and personal responsibilities as a U.S. taxpayer.

For more information, visit the Employee Services' International employee webpage.

Get started

Add new comment