Structured Labs give you hands-on experience with HCM this October
With the last HCM Workshop officially underway, it’s time to start developing your skills at Structured and Open computer lab sessions.
Employee Services is hosting 30 Structured Lab sessions across the four campuses and the System office from Oct. 6-29. You’ll work in an HCM/CU Careers training environment to complete several transactions, including creating positions, hiring employees and making pay transactions. ES staff will lead the training and help troubleshoot errors or issues you may come across.
Following go-live, we’ll also host Open Lab sessions where you can complete transactions and tasks on site and bring your questions about using the system. ES staff will be available at these sessions to answer questions and listen to your feedback. Stay tuned for a full Open Labs schedule.
We know you’re eager to get a closer look at HCM – Structured and Open Labs are a great opportunity to explore the system before go-live.
Register for Structured Labs:
- Log in to my.cu.edu
- On the right-hand menu, click Training
- Click Start SkillSoft
- Click Catalog
- Click CU Instructor Led Training
- Click Elevate: HCM Structured Labs
- Open CU: HCM Structured Labs and click on the small calendar icon in the left corner of the window. It will open a table that displays the dates, times and locations of the lab sessions.
- Once you’ve found a session that works for your schedule, click Enroll on the furthest column to the right. You’ll be emailed an enrollment confirmation, which you can link to your Outlook calendar.
Want more practice? Try out the system in the HCM Test Environment
HCM project leaders recently launched an HCM test environment or sandbox. What exactly is a sandbox, and what should you be testing for?
The Sandbox - A sandbox allows users to “play” in a way that doesn’t have an impact on real operations. A sandbox creates an operational environment in which the execution, operation and processes of software testing is not affected by other running programs. Access to the HCM sandboxes for each campus can be found here.
The Goal - The goal of this phase of testing is to make sure the project team has not missed any steps required to complete a task. Collecting feedback at this stage is essential. Here are some questions you may ask yourself while in the sandbox:
- Are all the steps to perform the task there?
- Are all steps to perform the task working correctly or as expected?
- Is there anything broken?
- Are there any key steps that need to be added?
The Process - The step-by-step guides found here will walk you through specific scenarios in the sandbox. Although you’ll have access to any available page in HCM, please remember than some functionality will not work until a later date. We’ll add more guides in the coming weeks.
Don't forget to provide your feedback after you complete the tasks.
Send an email to HCM_Community@cu.edu.