Preparing to Retire helps set a course for the future
Ready to retire? Think you never will? Get a financial education at “Preparing to Retire,” CU’s annual set of sessions, seminars and fairs for understanding and planning for your financial future, Nov. 18, 19, 21 and 22, on all CU campuses.
Investing in your future can be overwhelming, but it’s not difficult, said Dawn Ahr of Vanguard, one of seven CU retirement-plan sponsors presenting at the events. A major goal for the event: Break down convoluted, intimidating financial information into useful knowledge people from all financial walks of life can use to secure their futures.
Among other things, you’ll learn:
- Social Security isn’t solely a concern for baby boomers;
- PERA can help you double retirement contributions;
- Investing has its own language; once you learn the terminology, you can start putting it to use in choosing investments that are right for you;
- A rocky economic climate doesn’t mean your retirement savings will dwindle long term;
- As with most things in life, a good mix of different options is healthy; diversify your investments.
“Preparing to Retire” will offer a sample of what you’ll need to move forward financially. It’s a great opportunity to face your financial opportunities and challenges head on, says Erik Jensen, district manager of VALIC Financial Advisor’s Colorado and Wyoming offices, and an event presenter.
“People tend to take action when they are emotionally involved, so it’s not a bad thing to suddenly realize or finally face your concerns rather than sweeping it under the rug. And that can be emotional and frustrating, and scary, but when you come out the other side with a solid plan and you now know what you’re going to do, there’s freedom in that. That’s what I love about my job,” Jensen said.
Preparing to Retire calendars
Download and print a “Preparing to Retire” poster for your department today, or view the calendar of events online here.