While the majority of Employee Services staff will work remotely to do our part to reduce community spread of the COVID-19 virus, our services will continue without interruption. We're dedicated to providing excellent service to every CU employee and every HCM user. You can still reach us by phone or email. If you have questions or need assistance, reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org or 303-860-4200, option 2.
New student stipend procedural statement released
Employee Services recently set the following procedural statement for student stipends.
Student stipends are not wage income and do not generate W-2s. When work or other pay is subject to taxation, charging it to a stipend position creates tax compliance issues for the recipient and the University of Colorado. To help avoid these issues and comply with tax regulations, review the following information.
People on student stipends
1. Should not be expected to provide services in exchange for the stipend payment.
2. Cannot be paid on an hourly basis.
3. May not receive any payments other than stipends through this position.
4. Need to be in a 32XX job code.
5. Must be in a stipend pay group (SPD for monthly stipends or STP for biweekly stipends).
6. Only the following earn codes may be used with stipend positions: STP (for stipend payments) and BST (for stipend business expenses).
If any person on a stipend is to receive payment for services and other income reportable on a W-2 (work for additional pay, an award, etc.), this cannot be paid from the stipend position.
1. If the person has not had a non-stipendiary job with CU within the past calendar (tax) year, the payment must be made through Accounts Payable. This will generate a Form 1099 for U.S. citizens and tax residents, if above the minimum for such payments.
2. Accounts Payable payments to non-residents must be approved by the International Tax Office and may be subject to withholding. Form 1042-S will be issued for nonresidents regardless of the amount of the payment.
3. If the person has had a non-stipendiary job with the University within the same calendar (tax) year, the payment cannot be made through Accounts Payable. A non-stipendiary job from which the payment can be made must be activated in HCM.
If you have additional questions about student stipends and taxable payments, please contact our payroll team at 303-860-4200, option 2.