It’s time to prepare for annual leave sweeps. Use this query to get started.
With summer approaching, it’s time to prepare for annual leave sweeps. Leave sweeps will be run on July 30 or 31, and we ask that all accrual adjustments be made using the VAA and SCA earnings codes by the 5 p.m. July 24 off-cycle deadline. Once sweeps are run, employees who have exceed their maximum vacation and sick hours will lose this time.
We have a variety of resources to guide you through this process. The first step: Run a query for your departments to identify employees who have exceeded the maximum amount of sick and vacation hours based on the maximum accrual date listed for the employee in CU Leave Accrual summary. Ideally, you should run this query following each payroll.
Access the query here: Main Menu> CU HCM User WorkCenter> Resources> Query Manager> CUES_HCM_LEAVE_SWEEP.
Ready to run the Leave Sweep query?
Once the query has run, consult these definitions to interpret the results. (For a refresher on accessing and running queries, check out this step-by-step guide.)
- LOS – Length of service, listed in number of months. Only State Classified Staff will have LOS listed in the report.
- Max Allowable Sick – Maximum sick leave allowed as stated in State Personnel Rules based on LOS. This column only applies to Classified Staff. There will be no data for University Staff (exempt professionals) or 12-month Faculty because exempt employees’ sick leave is not swept.
- Frozen Sick Leave – Sick leave balance frozen as of June 30, 1988.
- EE Max Sick Leave – Max Allowable Sick + Frozen Sick Leave. This is the maximum amount a classified employee may accrue.
- Accrued Sick Leave – This is the current balance for the employee in CU Leave Accrual summary.
- Excess Sick Leave – Accrued Sick Leave (–) EE Max Sick Leave.
- EE Sick Leave Adjust – Amount to be “swept” from the sick leave balance.
- Max Allowable Vacation – For state classified employees, this is the maximum accrual allowed based on Length of Service (LOS). For University Staff and 12-month Faculty, this is 352 hours.
- EE Accrued Vacation – This is based on the current balance listed in the CU Leave Accrual Summary.
- Intermed Vacation Adjust – Intermediate vacation adjustment, aka Max Allowable Vacation (-) EE Accrued Vacation.
- 20% of Excess Sick – 20 percent of Excess Sick Leave, which should not exceed 16 hours. Classified employees may have up to 80 hours of sick leave if it will be swept; this converted to vacation leave at a 5 to 1 ratio, which equals 16 hours.
- Final Vacation Adjust – Net value between 20% of Excess Sick and Intermediate Vacation Adjust.
Notify your employees
If balances are incorrect, you will need to adjust them in CU Time using the VAA and SCA earnings codes. Please encourage affected employees to use their leave time or donate it before July 2018 payroll; Employees Services will run the vacation/sick leave sweep process after the July 2018 monthly payroll has processed.
Please contact payroll at 303-860-4200, option 2, or send an email to HCM_Community@cu.edu.