It is the policy of the Board of Regents that it shall evaluate the President of the University of Colorado on an annual basis.
The purpose of this policy is to establish and communicate the Board of Regents’ expectations of the President of the University of Colorado and to establish procedures to annually evaluate performance. This performance procedure is not intended to and does not displace the comprehensive evaluation required by Regent Policy 3.G.
a. The board shall review the performance of the president on an annual basis. The evaluation period will be July 1 through June 30.
b. Goals of Performance Evaluation: The performance evaluation is intended to promote the following goals:
(1) To assess the president’s performance in key areas.
(2) To increase the communication between the board and the president and to clarify the board’s expectations of the president.
(3) To ensure that the board and the president have a common understanding of and commitment to addressing the priorities of the University of Colorado.
(4) To allow the board and the president to have a meaningful dialogue in setting the criteria against which the board will measure the president’s performance.
(5) The board and the president will develop performance plan on an annual basis.
c. Recurring Criteria: The performance plan shall include a number of criteria that the board shall evaluate on an annual basis. This recurring criteria are meant to reflect core competencies of the office of the president, including:
(1) Communication and relationship with the board;
(2) Fiscal management of the university;
(3) Supervision of key personnel, such as chancellors and vice-presidents;
(4) Governmental and community relations;
(5) Promotion of academic excellence and student success at the university;
(6) Promotion of ethical conduct at the university;
(7) Promotion of the reputation of the university;
(8) Promotion of advantageous relationship with university-affiliated entities;
d. Non-recurring criteria: The performance plan shall also include a number of evaluation criteria, mutually agreed upon by the board and the president, that are designed to address the current needs and goals of the university. For example, the board and the president could identify “increasing enrollment for university campuses by 1%” or “development of a portal for online resources” as non-recurring evaluation criteria.
e. The board shall determine whether the president’s performance has been:
1 - Exceeding Expectations: Consistently superior achievement reflecting a positive contribution to the University of Colorado that significantly advances the mission of the organization.
2 - Meeting Expectations: Consistent achievement demonstrating a high level of competency in the area being evaluated. Performance at this level demonstrates that the President of the University of Colorado reliably performs the duties described in the performance plan and advances the mission of the organization.
3 - Below Expectations: Performance in the area being evaluated does not consistently meet the expectations described in the performance plan,
f. Open Records Requirement. The board shall also evaluate the president’s performance, as a whole, as Exceeding Expectations, Meeting Expectations, or Below Expectations. The board overall evaluation of the president shall be available for public inspection as a “performance rating” under the Colorado Open Records Act, C.R.S. 24-72-202(4.5), but all other information generated or prepared during the evaluative process shall be maintained as “personnel file” records not subject to inspection or disclosure.
g. Annual Performance Calendar: For purposes of performance evaluation, the board shall use the following schedule as recommended target dates:
• July 1 – First day of evaluation period.
• December 30 – Chair of board and president to meet to discuss year-to-date performance.
• First board Meeting of Calendar Year/Mid-year Review – The board and the president will discuss year-to-date performance in executive session at the regularly scheduled board meeting.
• May 1 – Chair of board and president meet to discuss performance evaluation and to discuss potential performance goal for next year’s evaluation.
• May 15 – President of university submits self-evaluation to board.
• June 1 or most closely scheduled board meeting – The board shall meet in executive session to discuss performance evaluation and performance goals for next year’s evaluation. Secretary of the board prepares draft of performance evaluation and draft of performance goals.
• June 15 – president meets with chair of the board to review performance evaluation and draft of performance goals for next year’s evaluation.
• June 30 – President meets with board in executive session at a regularly scheduled board meeting to finalize performance evaluation and performance goals for next year’s evaluation.
• July 15 – Finalized performance evaluation and performance goals transmitted to president.