|Policy Title:||Procedures for Allocating Sponsored Project Funding on More than One Campus|
|Effective:||July 20, 2012|
|Approved by:||President Bruce D. Benson|
|Responsible University Officer:||Vice President for Academic Affairs|
|Responsible Office:||Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs|
|Policy Contact:||Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, 303-860-5623|
|Supersedes:||Procedures for Allocating Sponsored Project Funding on More than One Campus, August 1, 2004|
|Last Reviewed/Updated:||July 20, 2012|
|Applies to:||All campuses|
Brief Description: This policy guides the allocation of sponsored project funding and facilities and administrative cost rates.
Reason for Policy: In the case of multi-campus research projects, this policy guides the allocation of sponsored project funding and facilities and administration cost rates.
I. Policy Statement
When a sponsored project award is made to one campus (the "prime campus") that involves the participation of other campuses (the "collaborating campus" or "campuses") such that a portion of the funding for the project is to be allocated to the collaborating campus as a sub-award or sub-contract, the following procedures shall apply:
- The collaborating campus must provide the prime campus a proposal for its part of the project. The proposal shall describe the nature and extent of the collaborating campus's responsibilities and the amount of funding to be allocated to the collaborating campus. This proposal must be approved by the collaborating campus's project director and its authorized official (subject to normal campus routing processes) and must be accepted by the prime campus's project director and its authorized institutional official for sponsored agreements.
- The prime campus shall, in a timely manner, notify the collaborating campus in writing of: (1) the receipt of the award; (2) the collaborating campus's portion of the award; and (3) the funding agency's relevant terms and conditions to be followed in its administration. The letter shall authorize the collaborating campus to send an invoice to the prime campus for expenditures incurred or portions of the amount awarded, as appropriate.
- Each campus shall comply fully with all applicable terms of the sponsored project award as stipulated by the funding agency or otherwise required by law. Each campus shall use its own Facilities and Administration (F&A) cost rate for its portion of the sponsored project. For the prime campus, this will include F&A costs applied to the first $25,000 (or whatever threshold is specified in future indirect cost agreements) of the collaborating campus's sub-award if the prime campus's federally negotiated F&A rate is based on Modified Total Direct Costs (MTDC).
- If the funding agency is a governmental entity or non-profit and does not allow the use of the prime campus's federally negotiated F&A cost rate, the rate allowed by the funding agency, if any, will be appropriately applied at each campus. If the funding agency is a for-profit entity, campus policy will be applied in making the decision on the rate.
- Consistent with established campus policies, each campus has the authority to waive all or part of its F&A recovery on an externally funded project.
Sponsored, project, funding, multi-campus, research, collaborate, award, F&A, collaborating, agreements, cost, rate, federal, recovery